A&H

Could a dishonest appeal ever constitute Unsporting Behaviour?

TomThompson

As a player I witnessed many appeals that were just downright dishonest, and plainly so for all to see. And you don't have to wait long to see similar in the EPL.

Could such mendacity ever be considered "a lack of respect for the game" or another UB category? "attempts to deceive the referee" ? (diving is only given as an example of this)

Has anyone ever seen a caution given in such circumstances? The common practice seems to be to tolerate it, but it is simply cheating, and often more obvious than a dive.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
yep, i think it could definitely stray into that territory, USB , ive seen it given. player repeatedly appealing for literally every single throw in, which i think the ref considered to be a bit of playful banter on the first few occasions... by about the 7th or 8th time (3 of those being blatantly not their throws, the others marginal) he'd had enough.. took his name but tbh i dont know if it was USB or dissent it was officially noted down as.

i'd just like to add, great word... mendacity :)

Yep....have cautioned in the past when a particular player has appealed for just about everything, loudly and consistently.....had a couple of quiet words.....then got bored of him, so next time he did it, booked him.

I don't think an appeal could ever fall into that category. How is referee to know what is going through a player's mind when he appeals. To him, it might be everybody else that's blind and can't see what actually happened. The player might truly believe that he should have the throw/corner etc. You'd never be able to prove dishonest thought on a football pitch.

I don't think an appeal could ever fall into that category. How is referee to know what is going through a player's mind when he appeals. To him, it might be everybody else that's blind and can't see what actually happened. The player might truly believe that he should have the throw/corner etc. You'd never be able to prove dishonest thought on a football pitch.

Count how many times the words "intentionally" and "deliberately" appear in the laws.
and the phrase "attempts to deceive"...its all in the mind.

Last edited:

One single appeal in isolation wouldn't.....however continual loud appeals for just about everything, whether from one player or a few players on the same team, would certainly fall into that category.
If its from a few players, when you start to get bored of it, warn the next one who does....then the one after that takes a caution for the team!

It's just another method of trying to get into your head and undermine your authority on the game.....whether it works or not, it needs to be addressed because it can become quite intimidating to young novice referees.

Back