A&H

Costa Rica Serbia

Can please someone advise these refs that when something is under review from upstairs CLEARLY DO A TV SCREEN WITH YOUR HANDS..

The ref keeps puting his arm in the air which from a distance looks like he’s waiving play to start

They only do that as they are about to review it themselves. They wouldn’t do that signal if they are listening to someone giving advice

The Referee Store
I take it yellow cards are allowed after an on field review for a potential red card offence? Had assume they weren't.

I take it yellow cards are allowed after an on field review for a potential red card offence? Had assume they weren't.

That's what I was thinking. They can't use VAR to spot missing cautions, so I thought it would have been red or nothing.

Reactions: JH
Can please someone advise these refs that when something is under review from upstairs CLEARLY DO A TV SCREEN WITH YOUR HANDS..

The ref keeps puting his arm in the air which from a distance looks like he’s waiving play to start
The TV screen is only when the ref is going to look, or to signal the decision has been made/altered by VAR.

There is no "I am waiting for the voices inside my head" signal - though much clearer pointing at the headset seems to be the best move.

IMHO - and I have to comment on the VAR - the VAR at the end wasn't so bad.
- Matic should have got a yellow for delaying the restart. The DFK was against his team. The ref didn't need VAR for that so why not YC, why get into the waiting for the review. Not so good but I am also happy if the VAR decides no card. Still, weird but not a biggie.
- The off the ball review - excellent. YC great call. Though the VAR could have probably saved us 90 secs and just said to the ref "YC for 8" and it would have been fine.
- There was also a penalty shout where the CR defender missed the ball but it looked to me like the Serb attacker planted his foot early and tripped himself. It was messy, but again I was happy with that.

So, and here's my big positive for VAR... my spidey sense tells me that the players know VAR is watching and it means much less off the ball stuff, we haven't seen an excessive force yet, much less dissent I think than I expected and probably a bit less action at corners (though the CR guys trod a fine line today). And I think that is great for the game. I do think the same result could be achieved by post match review of any incidents unseen at the time. Post match review with the proper power to sanction would be brilliant at the top level IMHO and wouldn't give us this - will this foul get reviewed but not that one situation we have with VAR.

Still, well done Serbia. Campbell had his moments but CR will struggle to get a point based on this.

They are. If the referee looks at it they can decide that it's only a yellow.
Bit odd if the VAR recommended review as they thought it was RC. Or is this actually an advanced use of VAR - make it a RC review in the knowledge that the ref will decide it's a YC because YC review is not allowed?
Whichever way, that was a great VAR result for me. Very good for the tournament and grassroots (if anyone saw it!)

They only do that as they are about to review it themselves. They wouldn’t do that signal if they are listening to someone giving advice

Yes but in the meantime 60yrds up the pitch a player doesn’t know what is happening, if your 60yrds away & a ref puts his arm & hand in the air it looks like he’s waving you on to continue.

A clear video screen with hands is a new signal that would match the new system that somethings being checked upstairs.

Wee flare up at end is casing point to something I would like to see.
Yes I know manager is allowed to stand and coach then return etc, but, for me, whole tech area should be seated (bar obv subs going to warm up, physio about to run on etc)
Far too many flash points esp late on involving tech area persons who have no reason to get involved.
Its also so easy to manager to betate officials if standing at side of park, I think human nature dictates its less open to doing so when seated
As for shouting on instructions, being an extra ten yards back should make no difference

The TV screen is only when the ref is going to look, or to signal the decision has been made/altered by VAR.

There is no "I am waiting for the voices inside my head" signal - though much clearer pointing at the headset seems to be the best move.

IMHO - and I have to comment on the VAR - the VAR at the end wasn't so bad.
- Matic should have got a yellow for delaying the restart. The DFK was against his team. The ref didn't need VAR for that so why not YC, why get into the waiting for the review. Not so good but I am also happy if the VAR decides no card. Still, weird but not a biggie.
- The off the ball review - excellent. YC great call. Though the VAR could have probably saved us 90 secs and just said to the ref "YC for 8" and it would have been fine.
- There was also a penalty shout where the CR defender missed the ball but it looked to me like the Serb attacker planted his foot early and tripped himself. It was messy, but again I was happy with that.

So, and here's my big positive for VAR... my spidey sense tells me that the players know VAR is watching and it means much less off the ball stuff, we haven't seen an excessive force yet, much less dissent I think than I expected and probably a bit less action at corners (though the CR guys trod a fine line today). And I think that is great for the game. I do think the same result could be achieved by post match review of any incidents unseen at the time. Post match review with the proper power to sanction would be brilliant at the top level IMHO and wouldn't give us this - will this foul get reviewed but not that one situation we have with VAR.

Still, well done Serbia. Campbell had his moments but CR will struggle to get a point based on this.

I agree with your point of it’s calmed things down, they now know big bruva is watching.

That goal was worthy of winning it.

Oh Matic knew exactly what he was doing clever clever play to say the least.

Yes I know manager is allowed to stand and coach then return etc, but, for me, whole tech area should be seated (bar obv subs going to warm up, physio about to run on etc)
Far too many flash points esp late on involving tech area persons who have no reason to get involved.
Its also so easy to manager to betate officials if standing at side of park, I think human nature dictates its less open to doing so when seated
As for shouting on instructions, being an extra ten yards back should make no difference
That goes to 4th official no?

I meant , at moment coach can stand out, give instructions and meant to return to base
I would scrap that and say if your in the tech area, your seated, end of

Disagree I’m afraid, better view standing easier to express yourself, these are fully grown adults if they can’t behave standing in small space then off they go.

But to put a seat in the technical area would look silly to me.

Disagree I’m afraid, better view standing easier to express yourself, these are fully grown adults if they can’t behave standing in small space then off they go.

But to put a seat in the technical area would look silly to me.

The best view in the house is up in the stand
You can see next to nothing pitch side!

And there are many seats in the tech area?

No coach at edge of pitch there today, no petty jostling for ball

The best view in the house is up in the stand
You can see next to nothing pitch side!

And there are many seats in the tech area?

No coach at edge of pitch there today, no petty jostling for ball

Disagree on best seat is upstairs as a fan yes but as a gaffer no, hence 99.9% sit on the bench.

Just confused slightly with what your saying, you want to move the dugout forward 10yrds? Or you want a dugout full of players & staff then a technical area 10yrds forward with a load of empty seats.

I want everyone to be in the dug out seats, exactly where they are positioned today

And you see nothing at ground level, no positional stuff, no over lapping runners, nothing.

At height, you can see everything, just like the fan...

Totally I woudnt watch a game from ground level but if I was a gaffer I woudnt want to be anywhere else but in the dugout or tech area, communicate with your team close to the action your part of it, You have a sense of control from the ground.

I take it professional managers are allowed to sit in the stands but all to a man choose not to.

Totally I woudnt watch a game from ground level but if I was a gaffer I woudnt want to be anywhere else but in the dugout or tech area, communicate with your team close to the action your part of it, You have a sense of control from the ground.

I take it professional managers are allowed to sit in the stands but all to a man choose not to.

Look at where SAF placed the dug outs at OT....... high up. Coincidence that he won everything from European Cup to egg and spoon race?

Look at where SAF placed the dug outs at OT....... high up. Coincidence that he won everything from European Cup to egg and spoon race?

High up? They’re about 10-12 steps high & were always there as the players used to enter the pitch from the centre of the pitch underneath them.

Anyway I see your point of stopping technical area aggro but it’s footy & emotion the way things are going with VAR & everything else the game will be unrecognisable.

It’d be nice by the time my kids are grown up that I’m taking them to see the same game that I fell in love with.

Back