A&H

Costa (Liverpool vs Chelsea 31/1/17)

SM

The avuncular one
Disclaimer: I support Liverpool.

Got that out the way early. :)

The build up to Costa gaining a penalty.

Question of a foul on lovren in the build up. For me, I'm not sure, might put that down as clever forward play.

However, the penalty I am not keen on. There is minimal contact and Costa blatantly dives head first, throwing his legs out behind him. Very slight contact there was, but contact doesn't equal a foul in isolation, unlike what some of the idiots commentators were saying.

I'm giving nothing there but a get up signal.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Watching in real time I called penalty. Defender attempted to pull out of the challenge, but too late to avoid any form of contact/collision/trip. Dare I say it but the defender has been caught out there. A dive is for me too strong, its simply what forwards do now.

Disclaimer:- As most of you probably already know, I am a Chelsea fan ;)

Yes Costa made a meal of it, but as a defender as soon as you dangle out a leg, your asking for trouble and can have no complaints if the attacker says thanks very much I am going to take my chances and accept the invite.

Likewise with the first half free kick to Hazard which Luiz scored from. Yes Hazard cuts across Lalana's line, but at the same time with the view Clattenburg had, looked very much like hands in the back and bundled on top of the attacker. Thought Gerrard as a pundit embarrassed himself especially when trying to argue his pro-Liverpool stance with Howard Webb.

As for Costa's penalty itself, it was poor, never looked confident, but as I said in my status , yet another example of why the law on enroachment and keepers staying on their line until the kick is taken is effectively dead at professional level. Henderson was almost level with Costa when the kick was taken and must of run into Clattenburg's view! :eek::confused:

Disclaimer:- As most of you probably already know, I am a Chelsea fan ;)

Yes Costa made a meal of it, but as a defender as soon as you dangle out a leg, your asking for trouble and can have no complaints if the attacker says thanks very much I am going to take my chances and accept the invite.

Likewise with the first half free kick to Hazard which Luiz scored from. Yes Hazard cuts across Lalana's line, but at the same time with the view Clattenburg had, looked very much like hands in the back and bundled on top of the attacker. Thought Gerrard as a pundit embarrassed himself especially when trying to argue his pro-Liverpool stance with Howard Webb.

As for Costa's penalty itself, it was poor, never looked confident, but as I said in my status , yet another example of why the law on enroachment and keepers staying on their line until the kick is taken is effectively dead at professional level. Henderson was almost level with Costa when the kick was taken and must of run into Clattenburg's view! :eek::confused:

The foul for the Luiz free kick was clear... Lallana pushed Hazard in the back... so what about Moses on Milner on 65 mins???
Anywhere else on the pitch and it's a free kick. The push in the back is much clearer than the push on Hazard... but Milner is heading away from goal in the corner of the area... and Clatts bottles it !

I am a massive Clatts fan. There was one thing about last night's game though that had me rattled - far too much gesturing to explain decisions, to the point where the assistant is using the "crossing over half circle wave" even when it was "just a normal offside". The laws are pretty clear that hand gestures should not be explanations of decisions. Though I can see why they attractive. I just thought it went way too far last night.

I didn't really have issue with the free kick - thought hazard was very clever to get into lallanas way and lallana was clumsy in barging straight through hazard as a result.

My thoughts on the penalty remain though. Contact doesn't necessarily equal a penalty or a foul. Otherwise, as mentioned above, Milner was clattered into from behind by Moses. I didn't think that was a penalty either, but there was plenty of actual contact (unlike superman diving Costa)

Just watched the replay and the Milner/Moses incident was as much a penalty as Costa's. Although the contact in both is minimal and I would've been happy if neither of them were given.
Milner seemed to slip rather than be pushed over, while Costa's 'trip' starts before he is even touched.

I didn't really have issue with the free kick - thought hazard was very clever to get into lallanas way and lallana was clumsy in barging straight through hazard as a result.

My thoughts on the penalty remain though. Contact doesn't necessarily equal a penalty or a foul. Otherwise, as mentioned above, Milner was clattered into from behind by Moses. I didn't think that was a penalty either, but there was plenty of actual contact (unlike superman diving Costa)
The thing that bothered me about the Milner decision is that seconds later, Milner has got up and does something almost identical to a Chelsea player outside the box trying to recover the ball - and the defensive FK is given. Perfect example of how even the best referees find it much easier to give a "soft" foul if the consequence isn't a game-changing penalty.

Personally, I agree with opening post, if the contact by Matip caused Costa to fall the way he did then Sir Isaac and a few others will be turning in their graves, because they have that whole physics thing down wrong. Matip hits Costa's knee side on which makes both his legs spring up and out? :wall: No pen get up you cheat! If he gave that then he has to give Milner's as well. Thought Clattenberg had a poor game overall, he has lost his focus and is making it all about him, also think he tries to appease Chelsea too much after the incident a few years ago hence decisions for them. Get back to basics, lose the gestures and focus on making the right decisions.

In saying that Mignolet is a clown wtf was he at for the freekick?

#Mooseybaby Gerard embarrass himself? Howard Webb agreed that it wasn't a foul, but quantified it by saying that because of Clatt's pov he could understand why it was given!

I watched this in a French pub with a Liverpool supporting friend, he was a striker I was a defender when we played. He was fuming at the penalty, but I think it was rank bad defending, you just do not leave your leg dangling out like that that. Yes, there is an argument that Costa made the most of it, but actions have potential consequences and defenders are taught from the age of 8 or 9 not to dangle out a leg like that.

I actually don't think the free kick leading to Luiz's goal should have been given. Hazard completely initiated that contact by changing the direction of his right leg, and Lallana had no chance at all of getting out of the way.

I watched this in a French pub with a Liverpool supporting friend, he was a striker I was a defender when we played. He was fuming at the penalty, but I think it was rank bad defending, you just do not leave your leg dangling out like that that. Yes, there is an argument that Costa made the most of it, but actions have potential consequences and defenders are taught from the age of 8 or 9 not to dangle out a leg like that.

I actually don't think the free kick leading to Luiz's goal should have been given. Hazard completely initiated that contact by changing the direction of his right leg, and Lallana had no chance at all of getting out of the way.
I appreciate the dangled leg out comment however referee's should be able to determine a touch and a dive over a genuine free kick, otherwise we would have to award free kicks every time players make contact with each other. Also, is the dangled leg is used as an example what about Mose's on Milner, shouldn't you also keep your hands to yourself? If Clattenberg gives one he has to give the other?

Back