A&H

Correct signal for throw in?

frank_ref

Bit of a weird one. Been reffing a few years, many assessments, hundreds of games. And then yesterday out of nowhere an assessor says I'm signalling wrong for direct free kicks and throw ins. Basically, my signal for throw ins was pretty much a horizontal arm, with direct free kicks more like 50 degrees. He says should be the other way around. I say, let's look it up. Then it gets even weirder: checking out the LOTG (p.81) there isn't actually a signal for throw in (direct free kick is about 40 degrees). Looking elsewhere online I don't really find anything conclusive. Just watching Kevin Friend ref yesterday and both his throw in and direct free kick signal is an arm slightly above the horizontal.

On a related note: I believe I was taught the AR signal for a penalty kick was a wave of the flag above the head and then the flag across the chest. This guy yesterday says something totally different. I look online and find nothing in the LOTG and actually several different prescribed methods.

What say y'all?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
The penalty signal is now flag up in the hand needed for indicating direction of the foul, agitate it as per normal foul, eye contact with referee then move down to the corner flag (penalty) or obvious step away from corner flag (foul, but no penalty). It's been clarified this season.

Both throw in and foul signal are straight arm, 45 degrees up, straight body. Don't use the premier league arm signals for fouls (flat arm). Been picked up for that before.

The penalty signal is now flag up in the hand needed for indicating direction of the foul, agitate it as per normal foul, eye contact with referee then move down to the corner flag (penalty) or obvious step away from corner flag (foul, but no penalty). It's been clarified this season.

Both throw in and foul signal are straight arm, 45 degrees up, straight body. Don't use the premier league arm signals for fouls (flat arm). Been picked up for that before.

Thanks for this. Can you link to sources?

Last edited:
Is say the assessor is presenting a personal preference as fact, which is wrong. Providing the signals are crisp and clear with a straight arm then whether the are horizontal or slightly above makes no difference.

Page 81 of the laws of the game (e-version) shows the arm signal for direct freekick.

The only reference to throw-in signals is the AR signal which is 45 degrees

Page 81 of the laws of the game (e-version) shows the arm signal for direct freekick.

FIFA-REFEREE-SIGNALS.png

The only reference to throw-in signals is the AR signal which is 45 degrees

So the referee signal is actually personal preference? Blimey.

What about the clarification on the AR penalty signal you mention?

Last edited:
Not to disagree with ASM but I was picked up early in my refereeing for poor arm signals, you guessed it arm too low. It may be assessor preference, but they do pick you up on it.

Page 102 for penalty signal in e- version of laws

Not to disagree with ASM but I was picked up early in my refereeing for poor arm signals, you guessed it arm too low. It may be assessor preference, but they do pick you up on it.

Only if they have nothing else to talk about

"Assistant Referee Signals - Fouls inside the penalty area

When a foul is committed inside the penalty area out of the vision of the
referee, especially if near to the assistant referee’s position, the assistant
referee must first make eye contact with the referee to see where the referee
is positioned and what action he has taken. If the referee has not taken any
action, the assistant referee must raise his flag and use the electronic beep
signal and then visibly move down the touch line towards the corner flag."

So are we saying flag across the chest for a penalty was a UK only thing and the correct response now is the one mentioned above? Also that there isn't really a prescribed ref signal for a throw in but as long as it's with a good straight arm and consistent it's okay either horizontal, or a little above, or even at 45 degrees? Is that what we're saying?

SM how early in your career did you know that Russian asst referee lol

Back