A&H

Correct Restart?

ref11

You award a drop ball, which is uncontested by the defending side. The attacker intends to play the ball back to the defending goalkeeper, but “over hits” it. The ball goes directly into the defending side’s goal. What action do you take?

The Referee Store
Yep a goal kick, most times you'll see the ref give a goal on YouTube etc but in the laws you can't score from a dropped ball so it would/should be a goal kick

@DanCohen17 Well, "direct" to me means the first touch as soon as it is dropped. A direct free kick can be scored without other player interference. In my opinion and understanding of the wording, As soon as a player takes the touch from the dropped ball it is no longer direct from the dropped ball and is a new phase of play. As I understand the wording and letter of the law I interpret it to mean a direct kick, not a touch and then kick. I understand why this law was brought in, however, I feel the outline in the LOTG does not cover all basis hence why I am sticking exactly to the wording

When questioned on this myself I was told that a touch negates the whole scoring direct from dropped ball, but I think discretion my well play a part here.

Wrong, both of you.

I sat in an extremely tedious meeting with the FA referees dept when the law was changed and it was made quite clear that 'direct' means no other player touches the ball, aside from the one kicking the drop ball.

Well I've been informed by a category one and a FIFA referee that you are wrong so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Direct by definition means uninterrupted. Although direct in this situation supposed to refer to the same player, which I appreciate, it doesn't actually say that.

Wrong, both of you.

I sat in an extremely tedious meeting with the FA referees dept when the law was changed and it was made quite clear that 'direct' means no other player touches the ball, aside from the one kicking the drop ball.

So by that definition the player could do keepy ups all the way to the goal and tap it in but it's no goal.

Ball's in play as soon as it touches the ground, so unlike a free kick, the player can 'touch' it as many times as he likes before another player touches it.
(Devil's Advocate hat on!)

Wrong, both of you.

Correct.

Back