A&H

Open Age Corner Flag

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Step 6 middle yesterday. Local derby 2nd v 12th.

First half was dreadful really poor quality and 0-0 at half time.

Second half home team right winger scores an absolute worldie from the right hand side of the penalty area, long crossfield ball that he runs onto and strikes into the top corner. He runs over to the corner where the fans are congregated and in his celebration kicks the corner flag out of the ground.

I run over, let the celebrations die down a little bit and as he then starts to trot back to his own half, send him back like a naughty boy to go put the corner flag back in, much to the amusement of those watching.

On another note, the away team spent the first 10 minutes of the game moaning about everything, 2 players in particular were the main culprits, and was getting to the point where I'd be looking to bring one of them in. Quick word with the away skipper in passing pointing out the players and telling him they were getting on my nerves and I'd have to deal with them if he didn't and he dealt with it perfectly, not a peep from them for the rest of the game, exactly what I want in a captain!

The Referee Store
I run over, let the celebrations die down a little bit and as he then starts to trot back to his own half, send him back like a naughty boy to go put the corner flag back in, much to the amusement of those watching.
This is great when you can pull it off; far more effective than a caution. However, it can quite easily backfire if the player refuses your request. Well done for recognising an opportunity with probably an element of humour.

Second half home team right winger scores an absolute worldie from the right hand side of the penalty area, long crossfield ball that he runs onto and strikes into the top corner. He runs over to the corner where the fans are congregated and in his celebration kicks the corner flag out of the ground.
Did the flag go into the spectator area and did you consider a sanction? If the flag post had hit a spectator would you have sent off the player?

Last edited:
This is great when you can pull it off; far more effective than a caution. However, it can quite easily backfire if the player refuses your request. Well done for recognising an opportunity with probably an element of humour.

Did the flag go into the spectator area and did you consider a sanction? If the flag post had hit a spectator would you have sent off the player?
On the first point. I’d built up a decent rapport with the player. First half he’d been fouled after laying the ball off, defender gone straight through the back of him, I’d played an advantage which led to a shot and then came back to caution the offender for a reckless tackle. Lad who’d been fouled was really happy about the ‘great advantage’ (his words) and the way I’d cautioned the lad.
When he’d scored, my approach was pretty laid back, I quietly said “that’s a hell of a strike, now can you please go pick the corner flag up and put it back?”
Doing it this was gave me the ability to step to “tell” followed by a caution if needed. However he went and did it without any dissent at all. Had I taken a more confrontational approach, it could easily have escalated.

On the other points - didn’t go in to the spectators, the pitch that side is below spectator level, you have to come down about 5 steps from the changing room side onto the pitch, so no danger there.
Had he caused a safety issue to spectators, I would have cautioned and had he kicked it so hard it hit a spectator, I would have sent him off. However none of those things happened.

Back