A&H

COP v MUN

The Referee Store
Incredibly tough one to call. Is the crunch of the ankle a result of Rashford's lack of concern for his opponents safety? Or of the defenders actions? Or just sheer bad luck?

Haven't seen the red yet, but I'm not having that as a pen

I don't give a sh*t about "you get those in europe" that is never ever a penalty. Absolutely ruins the game when unintentional handballs affect games.
Practically every handball given is unintentional since it doesn't need to be

But I agree it's never a pen. BUT..... it is a European pen!

Practically every handball given is unintentional since it doesn't need to be

But I agree it's never a pen. BUT..... it is a European pen!
Honestly I'm fuming this is a pen. Same reaction when city got a very similar one against leipzig last year.

Hate hate hate it

if u give handball against man u then u have to give that one. Both the same. both are farcical and Robbie Savage talks absolute rubbish

I really dont get the controversy over the red card, keep hearing alot he didn't mean it but that's irrelevant. The fact he's protecting the ball is also irrelevant, it's clear SFP for me, I really doubt if that was a Copenhagen player that made that challenge and got a red there be so much uproar.

The 2 pens are definately UEFA pens and not likely to be given in the PL(especially the VAR intervention one) but going by UEFA strict rules on arms outstretched then it's the right decision on both.

Just seen replay in slow motion on tv. (same view as VAR I assume). Maguire heads ball, ball touches his fingers, then ball touches defenders arm about a foot away. Penalty given following VAR review. I remember when handball involved 'intent' and common sense..

Hold on.... refs leaving it to VAR.... VAR relentless controversy... but I keep being told its just a PGMOL thing
Or is it just the plain ttuth that VAR is now the ref elsewhere in the World... well whatever, it's a farcical circus, but I did back Copenhagen at 3/1 so sleep well peeps because Ten Hag is.... unbelieeeeevable @Kes
Backed Luton at 11/1 this Saturday. Just hope Ten Hag lasts that long and that the ball hits somebodies hand in the PA

Last edited:
Hold on.... refs leaving it to VAR.... VAR relentless controversy... but I keep being told its just a PGMOL thing
Or is it just the plain ttuth that VAR is now the ref elsewhere in the World... well whatever, it's a farcical circus, but I did back Copenhagen at 3/1 so sleep well peeps because Ten Hag is.... unbelieeeeevable @Kes
Backed Luton at 11/1 this Saturday. Just hope Ten Hag lasts that long and that the ball hits somebodies hand in the PA
Agree with that bit in bold. Let's see if they write to Uefa complaining!

Had this discussion with someone yesterday in work. Saying it is all PGMOL that is the problem is just lazy pub talk. Every country and competition has its issues with it

Agree with that bit in bold. Let's see if they write to Uefa complaining!

Had this discussion with someone yesterday in work. Saying it is all PGMOL that is the problem is just lazy pub talk. Every country and competition has its issues with it
Other countries do have issues with VAR, but I'm not sure to the same scale that England do. Much of the issues in England are down to the constant raising and lowering of the bar by Mike Riley and his team, no one really knew what was and wasn't a penalty or red card. He's obviously now gone, but Howard Webb inherited a right old mess and seems to be finding it difficult to sort out. I think he will get there, but there are still a lot of problems at the moment.

I think the other reason it is perceived as worse in England is players have always been allowed to get away with more here than in Europe. Take handball, they are forensically examined here, but in most other countries it just seems to be accepted that if the ball hits the arm it will be a penalty. Same for SFP, for many of the challenges that we debate on here there'd be absolutely no discussion in many other countries.

Other countries do have issues with VAR, but I'm not sure to the same scale that England do. Much of the issues in England are down to the constant raising and lowering of the bar by Mike Riley and his team, no one really knew what was and wasn't a penalty or red card. He's obviously now gone, but Howard Webb inherited a right old mess and seems to be finding it difficult to sort out. I think he will get there, but there are still a lot of problems at the moment.

I think the other reason it is perceived as worse in England is players have always been allowed to get away with more here than in Europe. Take handball, they are forensically examined here, but in most other countries it just seems to be accepted that if the ball hits the arm it will be a penalty. Same for SFP, for many of the challenges that we debate on here there'd be absolutely no discussion in many other countries.

I wonder if European coaches know the rules better than their English counterparts? At youth grassroots where I officiate it seems a lot of coaches here haven’t got a clue about the LOTG.

Much of the issues in England are down to the constant raising and lowering of the bar by Mike Riley and his team

I agree that this is an issue; I would add a second issue, which is hesitation to use VAR leads to indecision at some times which leads to either (1) the VAR not intervening when they clearly should, or (2) the VAR check lasting a very long time because it begins with a "delay, delay, delay" and is followed by an arduous decision-making process as to whether or not the referee should, in fact, check the incident. In my opinion, the requirement for "clear and obvious" errors is not well defined and so it is difficult for the match officials to know with certainty that it should be checked or not checked. If you watch other countries and how they do VAR, and especially look at the MLS, then you'll see that it is a very clear thought process behind VAR checks.

For me, I see no reason why the VAR cannot say to the referee, for example in the Liverpool v Toulouse match, "did you see a handball in the APP by Henderson?" and the referee can say "I saw it hit his arm, but my opinion was that he was not making his body bigger," to which the VAR could say "I'm going to recommend an on-field review." That would take all of six seconds, the referee would be at the monitor, and the VAR could show him the clip from two or three angles. In England, it seems like the VAR spends an inordinate amount of time determining, first, if it was an error, second if it was clear and obvious, third, if he's going to get blasted for intervening, and fourth, whether the referee should go to the monitor or if he should just tell him to disallow the goal. I would rather see the referee go to the monitor and uphold his on-field decision than to have the crew waffle about for 45 seconds to first determine whether they're even going to review the play.

I agree that this is an issue; I would add a second issue, which is hesitation to use VAR leads to indecision at some times which leads to either (1) the VAR not intervening when they clearly should, or (2) the VAR check lasting a very long time because it begins with a "delay, delay, delay" and is followed by an arduous decision-making process as to whether or not the referee should, in fact, check the incident. In my opinion, the requirement for "clear and obvious" errors is not well defined and so it is difficult for the match officials to know with certainty that it should be checked or not checked. If you watch other countries and how they do VAR, and especially look at the MLS, then you'll see that it is a very clear thought process behind VAR checks.

For me, I see no reason why the VAR cannot say to the referee, for example in the Liverpool v Toulouse match, "did you see a handball in the APP by Henderson?" and the referee can say "I saw it hit his arm, but my opinion was that he was not making his body bigger," to which the VAR could say "I'm going to recommend an on-field review." That would take all of six seconds, the referee would be at the monitor, and the VAR could show him the clip from two or three angles. In England, it seems like the VAR spends an inordinate amount of time determining, first, if it was an error, second if it was clear and obvious, third, if he's going to get blasted for intervening, and fourth, whether the referee should go to the monitor or if he should just tell him to disallow the goal. I would rather see the referee go to the monitor and uphold his on-field decision than to have the crew waffle about for 45 seconds to first determine whether they're even going to review the play.
Henderson? Be a bloody long check to see where his arms were given he is 3,000 miles away 😂

Back