A&H

Controversial goal

andy83

Reffing a Women’s league game this afternoon. Home team losing 1-2 and not really looking like changing that. Away team sweep in a cross/shot which evades everyone including the nearest attacker, who made no effort to play the ball, but was running across (and offside). Linesman (provided by the home team) obviously flags furiously for offside. I ignore it and give the goal. Uproar descends. Linesman kicks off because apparently I should have chatted to him. Manager kicks off because obviously he doesn’t think the goal should have stood. They spend the next twenty minutes until FT loudly complaining. Players pick up on it and start whinging too. Tackles start flying in and four players are booked! At the end of the game, the manager rounds up all his home players, meters from where I am and loudly complains that “you were all good today but youve been robbed by a terrible refereeing decision!” Why can coaches never take a long hard look at themselves and their own faults as a coach rather than publicly blaming the ref? It’s such an easy and pathetic way out but it rubs off on all the players to the point where their behaviour worsens. How the hell did that decision rob his team? No wonder so many refs don’t last long.

The Referee Store
Sounds like you ignored the CAR. I think I'd be annoyed. Might be worthwhile just to go over and explain your decision briefly. I saw this done by a junior ref quite well yesterday.

It sounds as if there's a potential card for the coach before the end of the game and a report afterwards. Did you consider it?

When over ruling a CAR in an instance like this I find it helps to sell the decision if you go over to the CAR and have a quick chat before awarding the goal.

I.e red team score, you blow the whistle, run over to the CAR and ask what they saw.

If, for example they said red 6 was offside, then you can explain why they weren't, played on by another player, or a defender deliberately played the ball to them etc.

It doesn't have to be a long chat, but it's better than just ignoring them totally.

I did speak to the assistant a few minutes later to explain.
Trouble is, going by your description of events, it was already too late by then. As others have suggested, it would probably have been better to go over and speak to the assistant immediately.

Thanks for the advice. I’m pretty new to this and at the minute it just seems like a thankless task!

Not really. But I’ll sort one 👍🏻
And also why it's worth posting on here - lots of people can give you practical advice that you won't necessarily find written down. Once you learn some of those skills/tricks it really will become a lot more enjoyable, even though you'll always have people who'd rather blame you than the players.

A similar example (also a Women's League game, FWIW) came from a close DOGSO call I made - I gave a caution, after thinking about it, as the attacking player knocked the ball so far ahead before she was fouled that I couldn't be sure she'd have got to it before the keeper closed her down. Of course, that meant I'd 'bottled it' and it was the clearest red card ever seen as far as the bench was concerned. However, as they were setting up for the FK I said to the captain of the attacking team why I'd called it that way. She didn't agree, but did at least see my reasoning - and at half time she was able to explain to the team and her manager why I'd done it, without me having to have the argument. I'm sure they all still felt I was wrong, but at least they knew I wasn't just avoiding the difficult decision.

Thanks for the tip. Got two games this weekend (including my first cup match) so will try and put what I’ve learned into practice.

We talk an awful lot about selling a decision and I think that with enough confidence you can just about sell anything. It is useful for everyone (including players) to know why you have done what you've done but its also important for self-evaluation. How can you prevent future mistakes if you don't know why/how you made your last one?

For me, from what you've described (assuming the decision itself is correct) I'd be using these three points:

1. the second I give the goal I'd be sprinting over to the CAR to explain what I've done.
2. I'd be getting myself straight over to the captain next to explain what I've done and why I've done it explain you're relying on them to pass the message on.
3. it's so easy after an incident like this to lose control and end up running out of ink for your yellow card! Be firm. If it's 50/50 then blow and give it with a strong signal of 'no more'. Make it clear to all that no matter what they think of a previous decision, its your game.

Don't be disheartened, I guarantee the opposition boss was thrilled with your performance! Though if you do get any grief from the 'wronged' manager, feel free to point out they conceded 2 before your 'mistake'.

Back