A&H

Open Age Controversial disallowing of a goal!

BlackMambaRef

Level 5 Referee
This weekend I made a fairly controversial decision but at the time I was happy with it and stuck by it, but after a few days i'm starting to doubt myself!

Goalkeeper picked up a back pass so I gave an IFK.. With everyone in position I told all players to wait for my whistle.
As I blew the whistle a defender ran out and the attacking team complained; after I repositioned the player within the required distance, the attacking team crossed the ball and someone on the far post scored.
I disallowed the goal as I had not blown my whistle for them to retake the free kick...

Was I correct in disallowing the goal?

The Referee Store
Welcome to the forum mate.

Yes, needed to be on the whistle as you had set a ceremonial (indirect) free kick. For IDFK in the opposition penalty area, always go ceremonial, as you did. Inviting problems otherwise.

One question. Did you caution the encroaching defender for failure to respect the required distance at a restart? Whistle is also needed to restart game after a caution.

Welcome to the forum mate.

Yes, needed to be on the whistle as you had set a ceremonial (indirect) free kick. For IDFK in the opposition penalty area, always go ceremonial, as you did. Inviting problems otherwise.

One question. Did you caution the encroaching defender for failure to respect the required distance at a restart? Whistle is also needed to restart game after a caution.
Thanks!
I didn't caution the encroaching defender as I think it was a clear mistake and didn't think there was any need for a card.

@BlackMambaRef sounds like you got it spot on. Personally, with the attacking team I would act as if what they'd done was the most ridiculous thing ever when ruling it out. Least that way it hopefully keeps the protests down to a minimum. Loudly announcing that everyone is playing to your whistle and it needs to be retaken. If you sell it with total confidence then I think you're fine.

@BlackMambaRef sounds like you got it spot on. Personally, with the attacking team I would act as if what they'd done was the most ridiculous thing ever when ruling it out. Least that way it hopefully keeps the protests down to a minimum. Loudly announcing that everyone is playing to your whistle and it needs to be retaken. If you sell it with total confidence then I think you're fine.

Thanks, Dave!
Had a game yesterday and gave a free kick for a handball and one player was saying "it was ball to hand" and with the utmost confidence I said "who knows the rules, me or you? you stick to your job and i'll stick to mine." Afterwards he was fine! I think speaking with assurity will hold us in good stead!

as it's subjective and given that the player does, perhaps, know the rules (sic), i'd certainly suggest taking out the first part of that

@BlackMambaRef you're here to play, I'm here to referee, let's stick to our jobs. That is one of my favourite phrases. Mainly because I think it's quite annoying and whoever I say it to will think it's a ridiculous referee type comment! I want the players to think I am a typical referee!

Back