A&H

Confusing players

wazztie16

Level 4 Referee
Level 4 Referee
Ball goes towards goal line, looks like its going for a goal kick. As it gets nearer and nearer, I put my arm out and shout goal kick, and turn to head towards the centre circle.

Unbeknownst to me, the ball has been kept in play, and is off up to the side line.

By which point players start stopping and there's confusion all round.

I just call play on when I realise, and then it goes for a throw.

And that my friends, is why you play to the whistle 🤦‍♂️.

Other than that, had a really good match. U16, 3rd vs bottom, 3rd won 4-2.

Couple of minor handbag flash points, nothing that couldn't be sorted talking to the players at the time and stressing that there was a fine line coming up for me getting my cards out.

After a few weeks out due to weather /personal /work, OA line yesterday that I enjoyed and middle today, I felt much more confident in the middle with being able to watch and call challenges /fouls.

Now trying to decide when I want to step up to OA middle.

The Referee Store
Ball goes towards goal line, looks like its going for a goal kick. As it gets nearer and nearer, I put my arm out and shout goal kick, and turn to head towards the centre circle.

Unbeknownst to me, the ball has been kept in play, and is off up to the side line.

By which point players start stopping and there's confusion all round.

I just call play on when I realise, and then it goes for a throw.
2 lessons from that then:
1) don't turn your back until it is fully out, better still, backtrack instead of turning and running
2) don't shout the decision before the ball has gone out, there's no rush

2 lessons from that then:
1) don't turn your back until it is fully out, better still, backtrack instead of turning and running
2) don't shout the decision before the ball has gone out, there's no rush

Backtrack is all good and well, but knowing my luck, I'll be flattening the kids as I go backwards, I'll miss one. I didn't think I had to be concerned about watching the gk retrieve the ball to be honest, hence me turning.

Lessons indeed learned, straight away in fact.

I'm still glad I didn't blow the whistle, what I couldn't understand was players stopping when they should be watching the ball while it's in play, not listening to a referee who should have no involvement at that point.

Backtrack is all good and well, but knowing my luck, I'll be flattening the kids as I go backwards, I'll miss one. I didn't think I had to be concerned about watching the gk retrieve the ball to be honest, hence me turning.

Lessons indeed learned, straight away in fact.

I'm still glad I didn't blow the whistle, what I couldn't understand was players stopping when they should be watching the ball while it's in play, not listening to a referee who should have no involvement at that point.

Everyone's expecting a goal kick because that's what you've given! Blowing the whistle or not, if you do/say something like that everyone expects that's what's going to happen hence no one paying attention!

Everyone's expecting a goal kick because that's what you've given! Blowing the whistle or not, if you do/say something like that everyone expects that's what's going to happen hence no one paying attention!
How have I given a goal kick if the ball is still in play? That could've been a player shouting goal kick, not the ref.

How have I given a goal kick if the ball is still in play? That could've been a player shouting goal kick, not the ref.

Take it as a learning point, and be honest with yourself, but I think you're as much at fault as the players.

Play to the whistle, yep, that's fine. But you have given a goal kick, the players have seen and heard you do it!

The learning points have already been posted by @JH and I think they're perfectly valid.

be thankful it never led to a goal.

Something like "goal kick if it goes" corner if it goes", fine, you have given yourself a safety net but I like the above can emphasise with players stopping and on the plus side, if you don't do it again, then Bobs your Uncle. (unless Bob has breasts, in which case he could be Betty)

Take it as a learning point, and be honest with yourself, but I think you're as much at fault as the players.

Play to the whistle, yep, that's fine. But you have given a goal kick, the players have seen and heard you do it!

The learning points have already been posted by @JH and I think they're perfectly valid.
I agree I was at fault, and learnt from it the minute it happened.

But I still maintain players should play to the whistle unless obvious, as it could've been someone else shouting it, a player from the edge of the box for example who's wanting the decision.

My twopenneth. I assume you didn't blow the whistle every time the ball went out of play?

Reactions: es1
As I say, I do understand I made a mistake, and I know I made a mistake, and it won't happen again, not while I'm thinking straight anyway.

I'm just glad I got lucky with this one.

Reactions: es1
Back