A&H

Concussion

mctones

I see in the news today UK government have released new guidance for grassroots sports around concussion, although by looks of it much of the key messaging has been in the FA guidelines published in August 2019

On this covering page it mentions referees as one of the target audiences

These guidelines help players, referees, schools, parents and others balance the substantial health and social benefits and enjoyment from taking part in sport with minimising the rare but serious and potentially lifelong effects of concussion
However the document itself contains no specific guidance or sections for referees, and I always understood there is nothing in LOTG or any requirement for us to get involved in first aid matters (other than stopping a game for a suspected head or serious injury).

Just wondered how others referee grassroots games when it comes to concussion? Should we be mindful of these guidelines and be more proactive at this level, particularly youth?

The Referee Store
I was wondering the same thing. I don't think it's a good idea to place the decision in the hands of the referee.

I had a clash of heads in my game last week, the guy was down for several minutes. He finally announced he was ok to continue. I said to the coach there's only 3 minutes left till half time and it's rolling subs so why not take him off and he can come back on in the 2nd half if he's ok? Fell on deaf ears.

Similar to Trip, a few weeks ago I had a guy go down after a clash of heads and take a while to get up and running again. I asked the physio if he was comfortable the guy wasn't concussed, he said yes - even though I was sceptical, I didn't think I had any standing to insist further, so back on he came.

But at this level, I have no idea if the "physio" has any qualifications to make that call. There has to be more structure around who's qualified to make those decisions - and also, ways to mitigate the tactical impact of doing the right thing so as to limit clashing priorities.

In grassroots football the likelyhood is that nobody present is qualified to make a judgement. (Although there's a team called London Hospital Old Boys who play in my league and every player is a doctor.)

Given the stakes I think if there's any doubt the player should not play on. Why take the risk for a game of park football? But I don't want to have to police that as a referee. (I'm also coach and would not hesitate to remove a player if there's any doubt at all.)

In addition to being a referee I am also a qualified rugby and football coach, and parent of a child who has suffered serious concussion (hospitalised). I personally find it really, really hard to ignore concussion red flags, player safety is paramount.

In the scenarios painted above, does the LOTG actually allow us to act here, Law 5.3?

[the referee] stops play if a player is seriously injured and ensures that the player is removed from the field of play

In grassroots football the likelyhood is that nobody present is qualified to make a judgement. (Although there's a team called London Hospital Old Boys who play in my league and every player is a doctor.)

Given the stakes I think if there's any doubt the player should not play on. Why take the risk for a game of park football? But I don't want to have to police that as a referee. (I'm also coach and would not hesitate to remove a player if there's any doubt at all.)
This is essentially the position that AYSO (the largest youth soccer organization in the US) has taken. Coaches and referees have to take concussion awareness classes. If either a coach or referee identifies concussion symptoms, the player is done for the day. No one is asking coaches or referees to identify actual concussions, but rather if symptoms or noticed, safety says the player is done.

This is essentially the position that AYSO (the largest youth soccer organization in the US) has taken. Coaches and referees have to take concussion awareness classes. If either a coach or referee identifies concussion symptoms, the player is done for the day. No one is asking coaches or referees to identify actual concussions, but rather if symptoms or noticed, safety says the player is done.

So what happens if a referee thinks he sees symptoms of a concussion but the coach disagrees? Can the referee insist that the player is removed?

So what happens if a referee thinks he sees symptoms of a concussion but the coach disagrees? Can the referee insist that the player is removed?
Here in the US, everyone takes the concussion protocol info video but I don’t think we have any real authority to force a player to stay off. Parents are responsible for their kids, ultimately

Here in the US, everyone takes the concussion protocol info video but I don’t think we have any real authority to force a player to stay off. Parents are responsible for their kids, ultimately
I had the same question a few years ago and I contacted the head of refereeing in my state of Virginia. He said that we can utilize Law 5.3 as stated above... "stops play if a player is seriously injured and ensures that the player is removed from the field of play." and if the coach puts him/her back on, we just stop play and have him removed again. And just keep doing it. He said, as referees, we cannot continue if we suspect a player is playing with a head injury.

In AYSO, if either a coach or referee sees concussion symptoms, the player is done. Full stop. I believe the decision was made to save kids from coach judgment getting swayed by the heat of competition and putting a kid I. Who shouldn’t be put back in. AYSO would rather have a kid sit unnecessarily than have a kid worsen a concussion by continuing to play.

That is definitely what's best for the player. It's quite a responsibility for the referee, particularly a young ref dealing with an adult coach.

Back