A&H

Competition Rules Are Important

I think it a bit harsh that the 2 assistants are being treated the same as the guy in the middle.

I would be fobbed off if as the A/R I told the ref he was wrong and he basically overruled me and then I get the 21 day suspension for that. Seething.

The Referee Store
Sin Bins - Check and double check.

Isthmian U18s No Sin Bins, Isthmian U23s DO have sin bins, just one example where rules are not always consistent/what you would expect.
My point entirely.

If you check, and they're not even mentioned, the fault (IMO) lies with the rule writers.

I would be fobbed off if as the A/R I told the ref he was wrong and he basically overruled me and then I get the 21 day suspension for that. Seething.
Agreed.

But whether or not you did or didn't, how would you prove it to a panel that simply just decides to hold all 3 of you accountable?

My point entirely.

If you check, and they're not even mentioned, the fault (IMO) lies with the rule writers.
They are not mentioned because it's a competition that includes clubs at step 4 and above, where these are not used. Even in the Extra Preliminary Round, there are a small number of Step 4 clubs involved in games.

I'll repeat. As a level 4 referee you are in the top 4% of referees in the country. You are officiating on a wide variety of different competitions at very different places on the football pyramid and there are a massive variations in the competition rules. The onus is clearly on the referee to know all of the relevant details. I do have sympathy for the AR's if they are punished equally as the buck definitely stops with the referee in that situation and who is to say that he did not slap down his AR's when they said No Sin bins in the pre match.

They are not mentioned because it's a competition that includes clubs at step 4 and above, where these are not used. Even in the Extra Preliminary Round, there are a small number of Step 4 clubs involved in games.

I'll repeat. As a level 4 referee you are in the top 4% of referees in the country. You are officiating on a wide variety of different competitions at very different places on the football pyramid and there are a massive variations in the competition rules. The onus is clearly on the referee to know all of the relevant details. I do have sympathy for the AR's if they are punished equally as the buck definitely stops with the referee in that situation and who is to say that he did not slap down his AR's when they said No Sin bins in the pre match.

Mate, I'm well aware of the significance of being a Level 4 (and above) when compared to us (level 5 and below) proles, but for me, this incident highlighted a failing of the system rather than that of the referee who, in time honoured tradition is made the fall-guy (along with his "accomplices"). (IMO) the best thing to do would have been to apologise to all concerned for the confusion caused by ambiguity and crossover of codes and simply order the match replayed without apportioning blame.

Incidentally, (no names no pack drill) I'm aware of at least one other referee (also L4) who requested confirmation regarding this issue before his FA Cup game and received a response from "FA Compreferee" that "Sins Bins are in operation in FA Cup" (sic). Thankfully for him, he didn't have occasion to consider using it. ;)

Back