A&H

Common Sense or Bottling It

Anthony

Level 5 Referee
Literally last attack before I blow the final whistle with attacking side 2 -1 up. Possible off side but no flag (CAR) and too tight for me to call. GK who is already on a caution comes out of his area, handles the ball to deny the attacker.
Was it offside? Red card for DOSGO? Attacking side already had won? The match had become very heated in the last 15 mins?
Isn't it amazing how many thoughts and emotions you can process in a split second.
Decided to blow final whistle and take no further action. Told GK he was a fortunate player but got no thanks. The only side to complain were the losers who wanted the offside. I had told everyone to play to the whistle in my pre match so I could have fallen back on that if they had continued to moan but they didn't.

The Referee Store
Unfortunately Anthony , we have all been in this situation

I have done both in the past , but when I walk off the pitch after a" Bottle job " that's exactly how i feel driving home (like a bottle job)

I always run through my games on way home and go over what I did and what I could/should have done

Easy to say when your not in the situation but you should apply the laws till the final whistle and beyond

As for the offside , you didn't give it so it wasn't !!!

You answered your own question Anthony. Silly play from the keeper, Red for DOGSO.

Everything else going on in the match is irrelevant. Think of the wider picture here; Not taking action made no difference to this game, but as this is a league game (or cup) a referee not taking the required action does have a knock on effect on upcoming matches. The keeper should be serving a ban in a game when he should not be playing.

Might not seem like much, but think now of a referee on your league doing a game in this division who does follow the LOTG and does send a player off in a similar position? Consistency is lacking.

May not have a lot of impact of the overall result of the league, but you don't know that u til the end of the season.

That said, it's done and gone. Chalk it up to experience and move on.

And I agree with beezer about the offside. Didn't give it, it wasn't offside.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it, seen a top referee do the same a few years ago.

It was THAT QPR v Chelsea match - John Terry etc etc

Chelsea down to 9 men, last attack of the game by them.

Ball breaks clear, QPR player racing over half way line, Ashley Cole, already on a yellow, brings him down with a late reckless challenge - Chris Foy blows for full time.

Can understand why he did it, atmosphere that day was remarkable - on & off the pitch.

Challenge took place exactly opposite changing rooms, would have been very difficult to issue red card and get Cole off and then end the match in a way that would have ended well.

So although controversial, I do believe, in certain exceptional circumstances, there IS a case for blowing for full time a second or two "early" shall we say!

Back