The Ref Stop

Commentator Confronts Top Referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldNavyRef

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
33:00-35:00 Liverpool vs Man City: "the players crowding the referee like that, the Laws of the game have given the referee the tools to deal with it. They've just decided not to the last few months."

The Ref Stop
I saw on a thread on here of a clip from TalkSport where I think it was Stuart Pearce on who said that as soon as the referee takes disciplinary action for dissent, he is immediately the villain.

Jarred Gillet gave Mario Lemina a second yellow card for dissent after making it clear that he didn’t want to be approached by Wolves players. He was demonised in the media, and he was demonised by fans.

In a game where I have multiple OFFINABUS offences against me and I debate whether or not to take disciplinary action, because as soon as I do, I become the enemy and my club marks suffer.

So whilst the LOTG may allow referees to deal with dissent, the commentators are so naive to the predicament that the referee is under and the consequences that ensue after disciplinary action. This makes refereeing a near impossible job!

I wonder if this is a reap what you sow moment for the FA.

All prem referees had to climb through the club mark system and adapt to it in order to thrive. So they are more likely to put on a brave face when faced with dissent in order to keep the secretaries onside. What we are seeing now may be the lasting affect of that.

I wonder if this is a reap what you sow moment for the FA.

All prem referees had to climb through the club mark system and adapt to it in order to thrive. So they are more likely to put on a brave face when faced with dissent in order to keep the secretaries onside. What we are seeing now may be the lasting affect of that.
No, because it happens in every country, and very few outside of England use club marks.

So was it just for one match that booking the third player to approach the ref became a thing?

Are we expecting a FA charge for Liverpool failing to control players?

What alternative systems are used in other countries?
Promotion here is all anecdotal. Observer marks are looked at. Club marks are looked at, some comments shared. But all promotion is anecdotal (and nepotistic). Small Nordic country… but before you sniff a cork, my regional association handles 45k matches a year;)

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment but since we are discussing it.... I was disappointed when I realised it did NOT accurately represented what happens. I was expecting a commentator getting out of their box and going to a referee and actually 'confronting' them. Hope this clarifies.

Screenshot_20230403-122842.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back