A&H

Coloured kit

Jeff Jacklin

Jeff the Ref
Level 5 Referee
Watching the F.A.Cup matches last weekend, and the referees wearing the compulsory all black traditional kit, I wondered how many County F.A.'s now allow their referees to wear coloured tops for matches at all levels. And if so is the choice of colours restricted and enforced?

Building on that what do refs think about coloured tops? Are you in favour? Think that they add to the occasion or are just a marketing fad only applicable to the professional game? It's quite unusual to see a full black kit in use in the top tier of football nowadays, long live the tradition of the F.A.Cup or do you think it is a natural progression to be encouraged?

The Referee Store
I think they're ridiculous, if you ask anyone to draw a stereotypical referee I almost garauntee they would put "black kit" sure there are enough other colours so teams don't need to wear black tops?

Black for Surrey with teams told no black kit or dark blue/grey.
Amazingly some refs carry a coloured kit in case the teams have a black one. Unbeleivable!

Black for me all the way, especially as my belly gets bigger daily!

The comments on this forum were the first inkling I had that some places still require all black kit. When I started, I was immediately handed black, yellow and an awful green (which has fortunately disappeared).

I now have yellow, black, red and blue, and I will usually wear the yellow if possible, but we have plenty of options to make sure we are distinct from teams and keepers. Having just one colour and insisting that clubs not use black (or navy for that matter) seems a little archaic to me, although I do understand those of you who place a little more value on the tradition.

.....when I started, I was immediately handed black, yellow and an awful green (which has fortunately disappeared).
Still got mine, bit tight round the middle but goes in the bag on occasion. We have a team who play in yellow/blue stripes, and a team in red/black stripes! Damn, green it is then! (Sorry, we should call it Jade)

The Football Association insist that all games played in their competitions are refereed by officials wearing all black. Hence the F.A.Cup matches featuring the traditional kit. Surely you
The comments on this forum were the first inkling I had that some places still require all black kit. When I started, I was immediately handed black, yellow and an awful green (which has fortunately disappeared).

I now have yellow, black, red and blue, and I will usually wear the yellow if possible, but we have plenty of options to make sure we are distinct from teams and keepers. Having just one colour and insisting that clubs not use black (or navy for that matter) seems a little archaic to me, although I do understand those of you who place a little more value on the tradition.

The Football Association insists that all matches in their competitions (e.g. F.A.Cup) are refereed by officials wearing the traditional all black kit. Surely you are not referring to the FA as archaic are you?

Black for Surrey with teams told no black kit or dark blue/grey.
Amazingly some refs carry a coloured kit in case the teams have a black one. Unbeleivable!

Black for me all the way, especially as my belly gets bigger daily!

Given the seemingly endless lists of equipment that some of the referees on here take to their matches, i'm amazed that you are amazed, jertzee ;)

whilst i only bring two black shirts to my matches, i can understand a ref carrying a coloured kit. whilst any referee would be within his rights to insist on the offending team changing their shirts / wearing bibs, whatever, common sense can dictate that it's easier for the referee to change, especially if the team in question can't oblige for whatever reason. you can still include it in your match report.

bibs don't always look great on some of our more portly colleagues either ;)

The Football Association insist that all games played in their competitions are refereed by officials wearing all black. Hence the F.A.Cup matches featuring the traditional kit. Surely you

The Football Association insists that all matches in their competitions (e.g. F.A.Cup) are refereed by officials wearing the traditional all black kit. Surely you are not referring to the FA as archaic are you?

That's not quite accurate. The FA Cup from the 1st Round Proper works similarly to normal PL/FL match days although the expectation is black wherever possible.

Back