A&H

#coleman

WilliamD

Level 4 Referee
Horrendous. Clearly a broken leg. Footage so bad Sky won't replay it.....so I googled it.

It is a very very bad outcome but is it awkward to say it's not the most malicious thing I've ever seen. Clearly red...but not a Shawcross

Ref was great diffusing - sprinting in with red in hand.

The Referee Store
Awful challenge from Bale just before that. A quick flash yellow and absolutely no attempt to slow down the game.

The nearside assistant looked like a Level 7 in his first season.

That is a horrible challenge. Off the ground, out of control, and exactly the reason that this type of challenge has been outlawed.

Awful challenge from Bale just before that. A quick flash yellow and absolutely no attempt to slow down the game.

The nearside assistant looked like a Level 7 in his first season.

Yes the bale tackle was a Red for me....wondering if the ref went light because it was an attacker in his attacking box. Anyway it was poor and might have changed the mood and saved coleman's leg.

Just something to note, this one is a "one footed" challenge. So is pretty much every leg breaking challenge I can think of.
Why do we get so excited about "2 footed" challenges again?
If Coleman's leg wasn't hanging off Taylor was not getting a red card!

Rizzoli didn't give Coleman a second look between blowing for the foul and showing the red, so I'm pretty sure the severity of the injury had zero impact on the decision.

Rizzoli didn't give Coleman a second look between blowing for the foul and showing the red, so I'm pretty sure the severity of the injury had zero impact on the decision.

Well obviously we can't be certain, but the referee is 20/25 yards from the challenge and the AR doesn't even flag.
The referee has prob seen the deformed leg before he's even had a chance to blow his whistle.
I'm prob being overly harsh, his decision was correct so can't complain. Just a shame Neil Taylor won't be banned for months (at least he didn't bite anyone, that's have been much worse!!!)

Just something to note, this one is a "one footed" challenge. So is pretty much every leg breaking challenge I can think of.
Why do we get so excited about "2 footed" challenges again?

The law doesn't mention two footed challenges at all, and the only piece here that is relevant is the following from law 12 ...

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

He's definitely lunged, certainly used excessive force, and there can be no argument whatsoever that he endangered the opponent. Yes, he has led with one leg, but that doesn't matter as it was a lunge and his whole body was off the floor. You cannot control yourself in making that kind of tackle and it just isn't permitted any more.

My Players second yellow last week was 'nearly' like this challenge but without the outcome here. At match speed you can sometimes mistake outright thuggery with 100% commitment. A player can certainly go into ANY tackle without any intent to break someones leg and this can happen, planted foot, a tad late, lots of reasons. Just because a player breaks a leg doesn't always mean that the player used excessive force, what force is 'excessive' really?? Thats a whole new thread...

My Players second yellow last week was 'nearly' like this challenge but without the outcome here. At match speed you can sometimes mistake outright thuggery with 100% commitment. A player can certainly go into ANY tackle without any intent to break someones leg and this can happen, planted foot, a tad late, lots of reasons. Just because a player breaks a leg doesn't always mean that the player used excessive force, what force is 'excessive' really?? Thats a whole new thread...

The expectation at senior levels is that if you jump into the tackle, whether with one or both feet, then that is excessive force. Once both feet leave the ground in a tackle you are no longer in control of yourself and have effectively turned yourself into a missile, and that is no longer acceptable.

In this case there is clearly no discussion on red or not but my point was that aside from the jumping in bit, there are many other tackles where injury occurs even for the aggressor!!

Had another incident last week, two very committed midfield players go for the same ball with the same 'block' type tackle, you can see it coming and you know whats about to happen. One player waltzed away with the ball, other is writhing on the floor in agony. No malice whatsoever, possible ankle fracture, he was carried to the hospital by two subs so i don't know the outcome. Not one player saw it any other way than that, there was no melee, in fact I got a bit of lip for not allowing the free play to continue.. I gave that player a piece of my mind telling him to look at his floored opponent in obvious distress...Both probably used excessive force, I didn't have a gauge!!!!

The law doesn't mention two footed challenges at all, and the only piece here that is relevant is the following from law 12 ...

That's my point, yet I hear referees (on here and in person) justify red card by saying "2 footed".
Unfortunately the masses now think every 2 footed tackle is a red card which causes us problems in our matches

The expectation at senior levels is that if you jump into the tackle, whether with one or both feet, then that is excessive force. Once both feet leave the ground in a tackle you are no longer in control of yourself and have effectively turned yourself into a missile, and that is no longer acceptable.

What you say is true and the powers that be want these tackle eradicated.
All I'll say is if I wanted to hurt a player I'd go in one footed every time. A 2 footed tackle from a player who lunged from stationary isn't anywhere near as dangerous a similar one footed tackle from a player at full speed. One will get a red, the other a yellow.
Also I don't like this word "lunge". Every sliding tackle is a lunge of some kind and lacks some control.
Anyway I'm rambling.....

Last edited:

Exactly the sort of challenge i dismissed an u15 player for last week.......if his opponent hadn't hurdled the challenge its a fair chance he would have suffered a similar injury.....yet his coach was insistent i got it wrong and there was nothing wrong with "that sort of challenge".

That's my point, yet I hear referees (on here and in person) justify red card by saying "2 footed".
Unfortunately the masses now think every 2 footed tackle is a red card which causes us problems in our matches

Invariably a lot of these challenges are 2 footed or involve 2 feet off the floor (jumping into the challenge) hence why refs use "2 footed" as justification for the dismissal.

I think we can get carried away with this quite easily given the outcome - as @RustyRef says it's clearly excessive force etc. Easy red, but I'm not on the massive suspension bandwagon. The laws cover this and I'm sorry his leg is broken, but's it "just" serious foul play.

Too much passion + very high speed + really unlucky player in the outcome. Clear red card.

Agree with some of the above posters, thought bales was worse.

Back