A&H

Coach threatening U15 player

Felly

Whilst cautioning two players for an unrelated incident, the coach of the away team alerted me to an alleged threat by the home coach against one of his players- this is U15s. I explained that as I hadn’t heard the alleged threat I could take no immediate action but that we would sort out an extraordinary misconduct report at the end of the game. After the final whistle, I then explained what had been alleged to the home coach and asked for his name. He said he wasn’t a coach so didn’t have to give his name. I countered with ‘if that’s the case then that would require an extraordinary misconduct report since you shouldn’t be in the coaching area then’. He then went on to say that he still wouldn’t give his name. I explained that also would be an extraordinary misconduct report and the club would be in bother. Eventually, he gave me his name and I checked with the other coach that it was the right name. Needless to say, I have included the full details in the report. I await the county fa response, but thought I’d offer it up here as a wtf moment!

Reactions: es1
The Referee Store
As has been mentioned in similar discussions in the past (albeit usually involving players) failure to give the (correct) name is a separate offence under the FA's "Disciplinary Procedures Concerning Field Offences" with specific penalties incurred.

See below:

Screenshot_2023_0214_120316.png

So I would include in your report that this team official refused to give their name (at least initially) as that may well carry some additional weight, even if in the end I suppose he wasn't technically guilty of that particular offence.

Last edited:
As has been mentioned in similar discussions in the past (albeit usually involving players) failure to give the (correct) name is a separate offence under the FA's "Disciplinary Procedures Concerning Field Offences" with specific penalties incurred.

See below:

View attachment 6371

So I would include in your report that this team official refused to give their name (at least initially) as that may well carry some additional weight, even if in the end I suppose he wasn't technically guilty of that particular offence.
I put it all in the report. And got a thank you text from the other home coach thanking me for doing a good job reffing the game!

As the player was U15, this is a safeguarding issue that must be reported appropriately. I would also contact your county FA safeguarding team directly.

Back