A&H

Junior/Youth Coach knows more than the ref.

steamydaz1966

Level 7 Referee
Correct me if I'm wrong please guys.

Ball goes out for goal kick. Keeper runs up to right hand edge of box puts ball down, goes to kick it but doesn't touch it as he's seen his right back being closed down. He picks the ball up (as I'm understanding it's still a dead ball) runs over towards the left, puts its down and passes it to his left back. Opposition coach shouting he can't pick it up again and it's took longer than 6 seconds. I'm trying to explain its still a dead ball until the keeper kick its.

The Referee Store

Ball goes out for goal kick. Keeper runs up to right hand edge of box puts ball down, goes to kick it but doesn't touch it as he's seen his right back being closed down. He picks the ball up (as I'm understanding it's still a dead ball) runs over towards the left, puts its down and passes it to his left back. Opposition coach shouting he can't pick it up again and it's took longer than 6 seconds. I'm trying to explain its still a dead ball until the keeper kick its.

Correct.

Also correct that as of a few years ago, keeper can take kick from anywhere on the 6 yard box, doesn't have to be the side it went out.

I've heard the '6 second rule' in relation to goal kicks a few times, it's not true.

Correct.

Also correct that as of a few years ago, keeper can take kick from anywhere on the 6 yard box, doesn't have to be the side it went out.

Correct me if I'm wrong (anybody) but that hasn't been the case since before I qualified which was the 2012 so it's been a bit longer than a few years now.

Thanks guys. I, like every ref who uses this site am constantly reading the law of the game, and constantly looking into 'what if this situation happens, etc' but I'm constantly coming across coaches/players who seem to make up their own rules.

Thanks guys. I, like every ref who uses this site am constantly reading the law of the game, and constantly looking into 'what if this situation happens, etc' but I'm constantly coming across coaches/players who seem to make up their own rules.
It's not just the players, it's the media. I think all of us, if we weren't officials, would assume that the media is a credible source on football information. If I was just a fan then I'd assume that the MOTD pundits would know the laws. Amazingly, that is not true and that passes down to the players at our level.

Correct me if I'm wrong (anybody) but that hasn't been the case since before I qualified which was the 2012 so it's been a bit longer than a few years now.
It actually hasn't been the case since 1992 so I'd say yes, more than a few years. Another thing to mention is that if a keeper is doing this repeatedly, you might eventually want to consider a caution for delaying the restart.

If I was just a fan then I'd assume that the MOTD pundits would know the laws.
I would say that the majority of pundits/commentators on most football shows demonstrate repeatedly that they don't know the Laws. You might think that if you're being paid large sums of money to pontificate on a particular subject, you might want to at least look through the Laws that cover the thing you're pontificating on. But apparently not.

There have been two cases within the last couple of weeks where commentators have expressed their amazement at the lack of an offside call when a player received the ball from a goal kick. One was in the Barcelona vs Real Madrid game on Saturday, the other was one of the international matches, if I recall correctly.

The whole 'can't pick it up again thing'...well, it's not too far away from true. It should be discouraged, usually a warning on the first one and it can result in a card. Depends how quickly he does it too.
I've heard the 6 second business at goal kicks quite a few times before.

If I remember correctly, the law regarding goal kicks and where they can be taken from in the 6 yard box was changed around the same time as the "back pass" law, so would have been early 90's, with the intention to speed the game up.

If anything it's had the opposite effect. Some keepers have a preferred side they like to take a goal kick from, where as others will always go to the opposite side it went out, especially if their side is winning!

If I remember correctly, the law regarding goal kicks and where they can be taken from in the 6 yard box was changed around the same time as the "back pass" law, so would have been early 90's, with the intention to speed the game up.
As I said in my earlier post, it was 1992. As you correctly state, it was intended to speed things up. The full reason given in the IFAB meeting minutes was:

It is felt that this simplification of the goal-kick rule eliminates one of the common timewasting tactics

GK can actually kick the ball and THEN pick it up before it leaves pen area if he wants.

Ball not in play until it leaves the area, not when he kicks it. Also seen a defender intercept ball before it leaves area, again action is retake.

You COULD make case for USB in both cases and caution, but wouldn't change the restart in either scenario.

Back