A&H

Open Age Club lino/player

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
During my game today also while being observed this lino was being nagging to every decision I gave plus that his team lost so after 66 minutes I had enough and decided to caution for dissent just to try calm him down and to get him off my back it worked do people think I should of cautioned sooner or tried the stepped approach

The Referee Store
@ref craig - was he listed as a substitute?

If not, you have not applied law correctly. Sending in a caution form could be rejected as he was a team official, it may need to be submitted as a misconduct report. You should check with your RDO to check what the action should be, before submitting anything.

If he was, then you maybe ok. But you should have dismissed him as the CAR. If there was nobody else, then you should ask the opponent's to supply one and report the club to the league.

Difficult to say definitively without being there.

Had you spoken to the CAR at any point before the caution? Seems a little bit odd that you would allow the dissent to go on for 66 minutes before taking any action at all.

Ultimately though, if he's behaving in that way he shouldn't be an assistant. If it was me, I would have been letting him know in no uncertain terms that he would be removed as an assistant if the dissent continued. I suppose it's fair enough to caution him as a sub, but you should have removed him as a CAR too.

Problem I had is that none of his subs wanted to run it even in end he gave the flag to a sub that came off he constantly being aggressive and instead using stepped approah I've gone straight to my card

Problem I had is that none of his subs wanted to run it even in end he gave the flag to a sub that came off he constantly being aggressive and instead using stepped approah I've gone straight to my card

Let me rephrase. You said in your OP that the "Lino was nagging every decision", so why did you wait until the 66th minute to take any action?

I would of made the club provide another assistant after the first public 'feedback' from this guy. No cards just switch immediately. If they don't have another volunteer I would continue without one and report it to be league (they will likely be fined according to most league rules).

Having no CAR is better than the situation you describe above. TBH it has never even crossed my mind to card an assistant and leave him in. By carding him you have told everyone you are not on the same team and it's game over for credibility.

I would of made the club provide another assistant after the first public 'feedback' from this guy. No cards just switch immediately. If they don't have another volunteer I would continue without one and report it to be league (they will likely be fined according to most league rules).

Having no CAR is better than the situation you describe above. TBH it has never even crossed my mind to card an assistant and leave him in. By carding him you have told everyone you are not on the same team and it's game over for credibility.
Yu would have to get rid of both though surely?

He just asked what I cautioned him for and was generally happy

The observer had to ask why you cautioned someone, who had been dissenting for over and hour and is carrying your flag?
It was hardly going to be for a tackle? It reads to me that the flag mans conduct could not have been that severe if the observer was not aware of an issue.
Club ARs. Not being in England, I cant even imagine using them. Tbh, I dont think I would, regardless of league rules.

Difficult to say definitively without being there.

Had you spoken to the CAR at any point before the caution? Seems a little bit odd that you would allow the dissent to go on for 66 minutes before taking any action at all.

Ultimately though, if he's behaving in that way he shouldn't be an assistant. If it was me, I would have been letting him know in no uncertain terms that he would be removed as an assistant if the dissent continued. I suppose it's fair enough to caution him as a sub, but you should have removed him as a CAR too.
I can see where your coming from and perhaps maybe I should cautioned earlier

Something similar:
I had an under 18's yesterday, the away team used a substitute for CAR in first half. At half time the coach took up the flag and did ok for about 20 minutes. Then we had a falling out, I was cautioning one of his players and the coach was dissenting from about 20 yards away. I actually paused the caution procedure to ask him to pipe down, no avail his protest continued, I completed the caution and went across to him, and still he went on "that's harsh, you have had it in for him and then he topped it off with there's two teams ref!" I asked for and took my flag from him saying "it's impossible for us to work together, could you nominate an alternative CAR or I will do without" and got no reply! I actually did 5 minutes with the flag on the grass before a parent came around and took over.

On reflection I failed by not issuing a misconduct report, (the two teams comment - should have clinched it). The other question was I correct to remove him without the misconduct report???

We did have a reasonable conversation at full time, I talked him through the caution decision, he disagreed but diplomatically. I then moved onto that any CAR is part of my team while he has the flag and is obliged to act as such as long as he has the flag, which he sheepishly acknowledged. I'm not sure if he genuinely agreed or dodging the misconduct bullet by having a grown up conversation. Either way feel today like he's gotten away very lightly. Sorry to hijack the thread, post is bigger than I intended

Something similar:
I had an under 18's yesterday, the away team used a substitute for CAR in first half. At half time the coach took up the flag and did ok for about 20 minutes. Then we had a falling out, I was cautioning one of his players and the coach was dissenting from about 20 yards away. I actually paused the caution procedure to ask him to pipe down, no avail his protest continued, I completed the caution and went across to him, and still he went on "that's harsh, you have had it in for him and then he topped it off with there's two teams ref!" I asked for and took my flag from him saying "it's impossible for us to work together, could you nominate an alternative CAR or I will do without" and got no reply! I actually did 5 minutes with the flag on the grass before a parent came around and took over.

On reflection I failed by not issuing a misconduct report, (the two teams comment - should have clinched it). The other question was I correct to remove him without the misconduct report???

We did have a reasonable conversation at full time, I talked him through the caution decision, he disagreed but diplomatically. I then moved onto that any CAR is part of my team while he has the flag and is obliged to act as such as long as he has the flag, which he sheepishly acknowledged. I'm not sure if he genuinely agreed or dodging the misconduct bullet by having a grown up conversation. Either way feel today like he's gotten away very lightly. Sorry to hijack the thread, post is bigger than I intended
Did you send him away? Or just relieve him from CAR duties?
If so I am not sure this if this is a misconduct report to the county FA this would be a report to league/competition for a breach of competition rules, technically speaking. You deemed there CAR as unsuitable and they failed to provide an alternative. You only report misconduct for a manager if you send him away, you wouldnt if you have just spoken to him which in this case is how it reads.

FWIW you can still report this to the league, and I think you should for the sake of next weeks ref.

Back