A&H

Club AR/parent

Abeverley

Had a club AR today who disagreed with a few decisions.
No issues, told him to stop and he did.
Later on he said something else and I could hear a player behind me saying to himself “oh, shut up dad”.
Felt sorry for the kid. Just wants to enjoy the football.
Don’t think these parents realise the negative effects that their mouths can cause.

This same CAR, when handing me my flag back, told me I was wrong in law to stop the game for dissent (my first junior sin bin) and that I should have waited until the ball was out of play and that I should “check the rule book”. 🧐

The Referee Store
This same CAR, when handing me my flag back, told me I was wrong in law to stop the game for dissent (my first junior sin bin) and that I should have waited until the ball was out of play and that I should “check the rule book”. 🧐

It always annoys me when I get players or whatever flat out implying you're getting the law wrong. I remember one incident, back when I was green, I cautioned a player for recklessly throwing the ball at an opponent at a throw-in and the club AR said I was wrong. Following week, after bringing it up with other more senior refs, he went to my dad and apologised to him as he was wrong and I was right. Excuse me? Surely, apologise to me? :wall:

Having said that, I do understand somewhat why they beg the question - I don't think they look up the rule book themselves, rather I think they go by last week's ref's application of law/organisational skills.

Had a club AR today who disagreed with a few decisions.
No issues, told him to stop and he did.
Later on he said something else and I could hear a player behind me saying to himself “oh, shut up dad”.
Felt sorry for the kid. Just wants to enjoy the football.
Don’t think these parents realise the negative effects that their mouths can cause.

"Check the rule book" - classic!

Why did he think you have to wait for the ball to go out of play? I've just scanned the Laws and it doesn't mention. Plus you could be waiting a long time for that to happen cue lots of confusion

Why did he think you have to wait for the ball to go out of play? I've just scanned the Laws and it doesn't mention. Plus you could be waiting a long time for that to happen cue lots of confusion
I don’t know lol. I gave a free kick and he didn’t like it.

Check the rule book always makes me laugh as well. Like I got all the way to level 4 without having ever read the thing.
I have taken to using the PDF on my phone when required.

Check the rule book always makes me laugh as well. Like I got all the way to level 4 without having ever read the thing.
I have taken to using the PDF on my phone when required.
I was tempted but, frankly, couldn’t be arsed.
No point arguing with someone like that.
He also criticised some off side call etc (the ones which weren’t offside but he thought were and suggested I keep up with play to see them- I was staying wide for obvious reasons).

I was tempted but, frankly, couldn’t be arsed.
No point arguing with someone like that.
He also criticised some off side call etc (the ones which weren’t offside but he thought were and suggested I keep up with play to see them- I was staying wide for obvious reasons).
I wouldn't do it with a parent/spectator. I might with a club lino if the conversation was civil and they were actually interested.

I had a dispute with a player (regarding Law) earlier in the season. Unorthodox, but I bet him a pint on it. I do like a drink anyway, but that one tasted better than usual after the game :drool:

The law arguments are a bit easier than the pointless 'That was never a pen/caution/sending off/free kick' discussions

Back