A&H

Clattenburg

The Referee Store
Well since the Clattenburg-Mikel incident, all mic's are recorded, so it should be easy to prove the incident/prove his innocence.

unless there's any definitive proof that clattenburg insulted lallana (what did he do, call him a teletubby or something) or said that he'd seen a 'deliberate' handball then there will be no case to answer and no fine, imho

Team lose and think they were robbed by referee make complaint against official. Player feels personally insulted by remark? Realllllyyyyy..... Cannot wait to find out what he is supposed to have said!!! Bet it's something very boring.

I think he has supposed to have sworn at him?! Not 100% but I think thats it

Not enough 2-way understanding in football these days between players and referees.

I would suggest that both players AND referees are guilty for this. Referees (especially inexperienced ones) are too zealous to display authority over players to the point that the most minor backchat results in sanctions, whereas players and managers seem desperate to find a scapegoat for why they are disappointed with their team's result and seem astounded that their arguments result in anything other than a referee agreeing with their uneducated and misinformed opinions.

My advice to younger referees would be to try and take a step back and use personality and character to manage difficult situations, which can help you co-inhabit the field of play with players. This will stand you in much better stead as you get more challenging and better-quality games where you will be dealing with the same players more often.

I will say that the issue with players and clubs taking issue with referees is a deeper problem within the culture of football and will perhaps never be fully extinct. A similar case was with Mark Hughes taking issue with Martin Atkinson over 2 red cards and his own dismissal despite all 3 punishments being fully deserved. Some people within football just seem to display a general ignorance towards a referee's duties and powers while on the field of play, and that is something we all have to contend with.

He didn't even swear, just said lallana had changed since he has played for England? :)

Comedy gold

surely that's because he wears an england kit when he plays for england and a southampton kit when he plays for southampton

I think it's pathetic that Southampton are still kicking off about this given what he said, egotistical player doesn't a small quip his way but thinks it's acceptable to f and blind at the ref over the penalty claim.

He just told him he's changed since he got a cap. I don't understand why players can have banter with referees but the other way doesn't work. TBF, most players would love to have a bit of banter but in this case, I guess Lallana actually is guilty of the accusation :p

Could have been much worse, for example, "you have become such a fuffing c*%$ since you spawned what is likely to be your one and only cap you miserable future answer to the pub quiz question "name a player who spawned one England cap while playing for Southampton". Now fudge off!"

That would be a complaint?

(Note: I think he is good player, may get another cap. The above is for demonstration purposes only!)

Back