The Ref Stop

Claims to be a referee by manager

Ori

once again I feel I misjudged, but this time I should have been tougher.

U18 girls match. Midway through first half, player leaves the ground on a tackle. I booked her…..boarder line red, but I called it as I saw it. Player doesn’t complain. Understands her booking and so do her teams mates who all agree it’s a caution.

Now the manager comes to me at half time and claims he is a ref and that’s a talking to as she got the ball. I replied, if you’re a ref then you know “I got the ball” doesn’t matter. I felt it was uncontrolled and potentially endangered the opponent.

Left it.
Now second half same manager is constantly asking me to book players for literally nothing. I pointed out to him that asking for a booking is a bookable offence. I was too lenient as he continued when I was actually about to book a player for dissent. Should have booked him too, but I didn’t and I regret it now.

The Ref Stop
once again I feel I misjudged, but this time I should have been tougher.

U18 girls match. Midway through first half, player leaves the ground on a tackle. I booked her…..boarder line red, but I called it as I saw it. Player doesn’t complain. Understands her booking and so do her teams mates who all agree it’s a caution.

Now the manager comes to me at half time and claims he is a ref and that’s a talking to as she got the ball. I replied, if you’re a ref then you know “I got the ball” doesn’t matter. I felt it was uncontrolled and potentially endangered the opponent.

Left it.
Now second half same manager is constantly asking me to book players for literally nothing. I pointed out to him that asking for a booking is a bookable offence. I was too lenient as he continued when I was actually about to book a player for dissent. Should have booked him too, but I didn’t and I regret it now.
You call it as you see it, as this “qualified ref manager” should well know.

I probably don’t need to say this, but after a quiet word, I think I’d be giving the manager the yellow card he so rightly has earnt.

I think the key thing here to remember is manager’s should not be approaching you at half time to remonstrate, that in itself is a bookable offence (possibly red card - quickly opens IFAB - it’s a red card = deliberately leaving the technical area to:
• show dissent towards, or remonstrate with, a match official).

However don’t dwell on this, it’s something that is still unordinary in grassroots football, bear in mind booking and red cards for managers m in the professional game have only appeared with regularity in the last few years (COVID seemed to be the catalyst for this).

Agree with Ginger, don't fret over it. Yes you should have booked him so learn and apply from now on. So that next time, you're confident in applying law

Yes absolutely you should have booked him if he continued after you warned him. Especially after telling him it's a bookable offence. But hay, you already know that.

When managers or players tell you I'm a referee respectfully tell them for this game you are not, I am. Don't get into a discussion with them as there is only one way that could go.

Back