A&H

City Wolves

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Couple of very odd penalties in this. Grealish taken out on 43 mins by an out of control sliding tackle. Ball is in play. Clear penalty. But VAR doesn’t bring it back, nothing given.

2nd half penalty given for trifling contact two players running. Really expecting no pen but there was a touch so no overturning.

Coote had a good first half until the pen decision. City were tense and hacking at anything when Wolves had the ball - it was like the 1950s for a bit! Coote have a great dissent card to Wolves and on about 25 mins booked Rodri for another cynical foul in the centre. After that the City players were not so blatant.

(Solid hat trick for Haaland. Wolves never got bodies forward and were deservedly punished.)

The Referee Store
Couple of very odd penalties in this. Grealish taken out on 43 mins by an out of control sliding tackle. Ball is in play. Clear penalty. But VAR doesn’t bring it back, nothing given.
Live at the game it looked as if coote missed a foul on traore by Laporte about 15 seconds before this incident, could be why the penalty wasn’t given

2nd half penalty given for trifling contact two players running. Really expecting no pen but there was a touch so no overturning.

Coote had a good first half until the pen decision. City were tense and hacking at anything when Wolves had the ball - it was like the 1950s for a bit! Coote have a great dissent card to Wolves and on about 25 mins booked Rodri for another cynical foul in the centre. After that the City players were not so blatant.

(Solid hat trick for Haaland. Wolves never got bodies forward and were deservedly punished.)
I have to disagree. I thought Mr Coote "lost it" early on but recovered. First, there were two interventions for holding before a corner which meant (I didn't time it) the ball was in play for one minute out of the first three (i.e. he was wasting time) then a bit later a long walk to caution the Wolves manager. Maybe he thought by a slow walk he was defusing the situation (maybe it did) but it just looked like he couldn't be bothered running.

But for the penalty claim on Grealish, what was his decision? Did he give a goal kick? It really looked like he was waiting for VAR. (It can't be a clear and obvious error if you don't make a decision in the first place.) Maybe I missed something but that's how it looked.

There's a slight tap on the back of his calf, it absolutely did not cause him to go to ground like that, he has felt some contact and thrown himself to the ground. Players are going to have to realise that they aren't going to get these any more, and rightly so. The officials aren't just looking for contact, but also the consequence of the contact.

And Coote wasn't "waiting for VAR", they can't do that. VAR can only get involved after the on pitch officials have made a decision, there's no open line of communication where they can get advice if they aren't sure.

Got kicked in the back of the leg, went down like he had been shot in the head by a sniper, still looked more of a foul than the one that was given though!

Back