A&H

City Vs The Champions then

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
PK - so, what does VAR do here... why does not VAR act on Sterling pulling Gomez' shirt that the ref cannot see?

It explains why Gomez was touch tight - he couldn't get away!

Surely it's a defensive DFK?

Am I missing something?

The Referee Store
PK - so, what does VAR do here... why does not VAR act on Sterling pulling Gomez' shirt that the ref cannot see?

It explains why Gomez was touch tight - he couldn't get away!

Surely it's a defensive DFK?

Am I missing something?
Simultaneous offences.

• punishes the more serious offence, in terms of sanction, restart, physical
severity and tactical impact, when more than one offence occurs
at the same time

The holding offence of Gomez is more serious in terms of all of those conditions.

I'd've been mindful that Sterling must weigh 5 stone something and was always likely to go to ground when tickled by an opponent
I relented and allowed the lioness of the house to turn over as Dinner Dates is on.

Twas a typical EPL incident

Not simultaneous for me. Sterling grabs his shirt first.
Whether that's an offence, or a missed offence, or a clearly and obviously missed offence though, is another matter.
I am genuinely confused at this point what VAR is for.

I'd also like to see the Ederson slide and ball to hand again... he seemed to making himself bigger, but where did the ball come from... ?

Simultaneous? Really?
Hmm probably not. But as the throw in is taken they are both holding each other. And they both continue fouling each otherx sterling holding Gomez shirt, and Gomez holding and pulling.

Last edited:
8mg
Hmm probably not. But as the throw in is taken they are both holding each other. And they both continue fouling each otherx sterling holding Gomez shirt, and Gomez holding and pulling.

not watching
But from that description, is it one where we would, or should, be giving the defender the fk, rather than the controversial pk?
Safe?
As said, purely basing on that description, will watch highlights tomorrow....

Not simultaneous for me. Sterling grabs his shirt first.
Whether that's an offence, or a missed offence, or a clearly and obviously missed offence though, is another matter.
I am genuinely confused at this point what VAR is for.

I'd also like to see the Ederson slide and ball to hand again... he seemed to making himself bigger, but where did the ball come from... ?
Gomez is already holding sterling as the throw in is taken.. Either player fouls the other multiple times. Gomez has about 4 goes at sterling and sterling is pulling he shirt. Happy with the penalty award, and happy VAR didn't over rule.. Definitely not clear and obvious, it's not even clear and obvious exactly which foul is first and how many times each player fouled the other before Taylor decided enough was enough.
It's clever from Sterling, but I think his holding offence is as a result of Gomez's as much as anything

not watching
But from that description, is it one where we would, or should, be giving the defender the fk, rather than the controversial pk?
Safe?
As said, purely basing on that description, will watch highlights tomorrow....
Perhaps, yes. But the ref probably can't see the shirt pulling, and I don't think VAR should get involved here. Six of one half a dozen of the other type scenario

Just watched it back and I might be going potty haha.
I agree it's a pen but there is an opportunity to punish the shirt holding by Sterling.
It probably fits in the bracket of allowable holding offences in the PL.
2020/21 laws, A holding offence occurs only when a player’s contact with an opponent’s body or
equipment impedes the opponent’s movement so probably not even a foul from next season which is probably in line with how the PL refs have been applying the law for a while

OK with the penalty here, whilst Sterling does have a hold of Gomez I thought Gomez started it and had a few pulls at Sterling. Certainly can't be classed as clearly and obviously wrong for VAR to overrule it.

Don't think it would have made much difference to the result anyway, several Liverpool players were miles off the pace and certainly looked like a case of having celebrated too hard since the title win. They have two of the best full backs in the world but they looked like pub players tonight.

Very similar VAR incident to the spurs 'equaliser' at the end of the city game
That was before they changed it to any handball negates a goal - still daft to disallow a goal tonight when it hits the hand of a player on the ground because the opponent has pulled him down. In any case, how is that gaining possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm to create a goal-scoring opportunity?

Last edited:
Back