A&H

City vs Real

James P

A few hours early for the game. But just seen that the referee on tonight’s game also had the first leg of the City vs Atletico tie. Seems a bit strange for him to have the same team in successive rounds, so late on in the tournament, or is this normal?

The Referee Store
A few hours early for the game. But just seen that the referee on tonight’s game also had the first leg of the City vs Atletico tie. Seems a bit strange for him to have the same team in successive rounds, so late on in the tournament, or is this normal?
I think they wouldn't ordinarily do that, but they have something of a crisis at the moment with the elite category.

1 has had a heart attack so is out indefinitely
1 was suspended / dropped by his federation and has only just come back
1 is Russian so is also out indefinitely
1 is Belarussian so is also out indefinitely
4 are Spanish and 2 are English so they are all out of the semi-finals and potentially the final
They won't want to use any of the 3 officials that are slated for one of the finals

So that is at least 13 ruled out, and if you look at some of the others giving them a ECL semi-final would be by far their biigest games.

I think they wouldn't ordinarily do that, but they have something of a crisis at the moment with the elite category.

1 has had a heart attack so is out indefinitely
1 was suspended / dropped by his federation and has only just come back
1 is Russian so is also out indefinitely
1 is Belarussian so is also out indefinitely
4 are Spanish and 2 are English so they are all out of the semi-finals and potentially the final
They won't want to use any of the 3 officials that are slated for one of the finals

So that is at least 13 ruled out, and if you look at some of the others giving them a ECL semi-final would be by far their biigest games.
What happened with the one that was suspended by his federation? And I do not really understand what you mean when you talk about the Spanish and English refs?

Suppose Collum was ruled out , despite being nothing to do with England. Am sure Celtic or Rangers played jn Austria and a German ref was appointed

Last edited:
Also the top Italian is injured and hasn't had a game in a month although they are hoping to use him on a second leg.

I see now its so there is no bias towards, eachside. However I feel at that level of competition it should not happen
Can you imagine the furore if there was an English referee and City got a dodgy last minute penalty that the English VAR team didn't overrule, or vice versa.

It will never happen, just as it doesn't in international football unless a friendly. Just wouldn't be worth the risk.

Suppose Collum was ruled out , despite being nothing to do with England. Am sure Celtic or Rangers played jn Austria and a German ref was appointed
Yeah, I was thinking that. Can't remember seeing a Scottish, or any home nation, referee on an English game, whether domestic or international. Probably different to Germany and Austria, as England and Scotland are part of GB and UK, and have even competed together as team GB, albeit only in the womens game.

Yeah, I was thinking that. Can't remember seeing a Scottish, or any home nation, referee on an English game, whether domestic or international. Probably different to Germany and Austria, as England and Scotland are part of GB and UK, and have even competed together as team GB, albeit only in the womens game.

Off top of head I know Collum did England 21s way back, but yes, I cant recall a Scottish ref for an English euro fixture, or an english one taking charge of a Scots team. With todays travel and full time refs etc, no bother to draft in from other countries, maybe years back in the sane senario, he might have got the late call up

On one hand - 4-2 great advantage goal - and the signal after the goal for the cameras - but he rather undid it with the whistle to the lips that paused the defence momentarily. Silva deserves that though - immense.

On one hand - 4-2 great advantage goal - and the signal after the goal for the cameras - but he rather undid it with the whistle to the lips that paused the defence momentarily. Silva deserves that though - immense.

I think he'll get hammered in his assessment for that. 100% has contributed to a goal.
Not sure "play to the whistle" can be used with the noise in a match of.this size

I think he'll get hammered in his assessment for that. 100% has contributed to a goal.
Not sure "play to the whistle" can be used with the noise in a match of.this size
No chance, they will back him completely. He has realised there is a great advantage and taken the whistle away, the game is played to the blowing of the whistle not it being raised to the mouth. Notice also that there wasn't a single complaint from Real Madrid players about it.

Outstanding performance I thought from Istvan Kovacs, got almost everything correct. As the commentators were keen to point out, he is relatively inexperienced at this level, that was probably his biggest ever game and he nailed it.

No chance, they will back him completely. He has realised there is a great advantage and taken the whistle away, the game is played to the blowing of the whistle not it being raised to the mouth. Notice also that there wasn't a single complaint from Real Madrid players about it.

Outstanding performance I thought from Istvan Kovacs, got almost everything correct. As the commentators were keen to point out, he is relatively inexperienced at this level, that was probably his biggest ever game and he nailed it.
In the United States, we have the story of Wally Pipp. Pipp took himself out of the lineup and was replaced by Lou Gehrig, who proceeded to play in 2,130 baseball games in a row.

Ovidiu Hategan, if he returns to officiating (and I hope he does), may be the Wally Pipp of refereeing. Kovacs has stepped in where Hategan might very well have officiated and done very well for himself.

The only time I would accept whistle to mouth and not blowing is when an advantage develops at that moment.

The biggest problem with whistle to mouth and not blowing is that it shows indecisiveness and makes decisions very hard to sell, which is not the case here.

Back