A&H

City v Sheff United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utterly mad. Law drafted and immediately countermanded. The phrase "gains control/possession" is redundant before the ink is dry.
Should have read, 'is CONTRARY to the Spirit of the Game". Most people (not all) agreed that it was reasonable to forbid scoring directly accidentally from the hand or arm, but IFAB (for reasons I can't reconcile) have gone an unnecessary and huge step further via typically ambiguous text and subsequent (tail wagging the dog) clarification

The Referee Store
Just for the record, did that clarification come out before or after City's winner against Spurs was disallowed? It obviously doesn't apply to deliberate handball by players in their own penalty area who then set up a goal.

Not sure I agree - I think it's just the IFAB acknowledging the way the law should probably have been written in the first place. I think the idea that an accidental handball shouldn't be allowed to create a goal (assuming you even subscribe to that view in the first place) should include the scenario where the ball drops directly to a team mate who then scores.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of the idea but if you're going to implement it, I think including this particular wrinkle to it makes sense and is, as they say, in the spirit of this new law amendment.
It's not in the spirit of the amendment. It directly contradicts what the law says.

And nobody expected City's goal v Spurs to be disallowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back