A&H

City v Fulham..

Therealcjhill

Cancello Red card.

So what are we making of that shoulder charge & red card. I honesty don’t know what the make of shoulder charges now. How do we allow Haalands a couple of weeks ago and then PK & Red card that one.

The Referee Store
Once he's given the foul red is correct...it's far end of the stadium for me to properly tell though if it's a foul

I don't think the ref has got much wrong, rest of the crowd however...

Once he's given the foul red is correct...it's far end of the stadium for me to properly tell though if it's a foul

I don't think the ref has got much wrong, rest of the crowd however...
No issue with him showing red but are we saying it’s a foul. If that’s a foul then Haalands other week has to be.

Reactions: es1
I have to agree that VAR needs to get involved with that final penalty decision. VAR has done a great job of eradicating simulation in the penalty area; I'd hate for diving to return to the Premier League.

Very bad decision and I don't know why VAR didn't get involved. Barely a touch but football is a contact sport and there is no way that this touch causes the City player to fall.

The last min pen looks damning for KDB on replay. It is obviously a dive. But it’s also obviously a careless foul - a small one - but obvious. So, once the ref has given the pen there’s no way VAR can say it’s C&O.

And we know that only blatant dives with no contact get booking and IDFK.

So, IMHO the referee can’t be blamed here. The defender has to be blamed. The same player just got a yellow and was a total imbecile in both situations!

Focusing on KDB or the ref or VAR is just wrong. It’s all about criminally negligent defending. He really should lose his job for that!

VAR can't be blamed. Player to be blamed for diving, referee to be blamed for falling for it.

He has run directly at the attacker and behind the ball, has looked for the attacker and found the attacker.

The contact looks relatively heavy and there is an extension of the arm away from the body exaggerating the contact.

Pen for me!

He has run directly at the attacker and behind the ball, has looked for the attacker and found the attacker.

The contact looks relatively heavy and there is an extension of the arm away from the body exaggerating the contact.

Pen for me!
Are you talking about the same incident?

There was the smallest tap on the ankle and KDB flew up in the air, did some remarkable twist and belly flopped to the floor.

10/10 for diving.

Referee has had a shocker.

Unfortunately as his foot brushed his ankle, VAR doesn't appear to have grounds to overrule it, which highlights another issue with VAR.

Are you talking about the same incident?

There was the smallest tap on the ankle and KDB flew up in the air, did some remarkable twist and belly flopped to the floor.

10/10 for diving.

Referee has had a shocker.

Unfortunately as his foot brushed his ankle, VAR doesn't appear to have grounds to overrule it, which highlights another issue with VAR.
No, I'm talking about the Cancello shoulder charge, as is the OP...

Belatedly, the link to the official City video. https://www.mancity.com/citytv/mens/manchester-city-2-1-fulham-extended-highights-63803266

Cancello at 3.30 ( I thought at the time it was a more obvious pen than it looks on the replay.... )

City pen at 7.50. Second angle suggests more than a "tap" on the ankle. Still a good flop, but it's been said here often enough that if you don't milk them you don't get them. Fulham player knew what he'd done.

Anyway, Fulham could have been down to ten men if cautions for persistent fouling were still a thing, so no sympathy.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem at all with the penalty to City and I think the pro game expects that to be given. It was really, really bad defending, you just don't dangle your leg out like that, and Robinson knew exactly what he had done straight away. Did De Bruyne milk it? Yes, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a foul.

KDB dived, there can be no debate on that. That doesn’t mean it’s not a foul however, and the Fulham players reaction confirms that.

Back