A&H

City v Bruges

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
Bizzare refereeing from the Romanian referee. Theres been 3 or 4 times that theres been a delayed flag raised for offside with the goalkeeper in possession looking to start an attack or the same from a defender in time and space and yet he always gives the offside as opposed to letting play go on. It's a clear tactic as he instantly runs back to the halfway line to get away from the protests.

Not seen this in a long time and I dont see any benefits in doing so? Hopefully it's a rogue decision and not a new directive.

The Referee Store
Bizzare refereeing from the Romanian referee. Theres been 3 or 4 times that theres been a delayed flag raised for offside with the goalkeeper in possession looking to start an attack or the same from a defender in time and space and yet he always gives the offside as opposed to letting play go on. It's a clear tactic as he instantly runs back to the halfway line to get away from the protests.

Not seen this in a long time and I dont see any benefits in doing so? Hopefully it's a rogue decision and not a new directive.
The AR will merely be point scoring. Maintaining (or not as the case may be) his offside accuracy score
I've not been watching the game. But that's what modern day assisting amounts to. Nothing of any consequence, except his own personal score

Although I get what you're saying. As I picture it, you or I would be marked down for needlessly raising the flag, but some of the pros seem hell bent on indicating that they knew it was offside :wtf: And with ball in hand, probably, no offside offence has occurred

The AR will merely be point scoring. Maintaining (or not as the case may be) his offside accuracy score
I've not been watching the game. But that's what modern day assisting amounts to. Nothing of any consequence, except his own personal score

Although I get what you're saying. As I picture it, you or I would be marked down for needlessly raising the flag, but some of the pros seem hell bent on indicating that they knew it was offside :wtf: And with ball in hand, probably, no offside offence has occurred

Not the AR's problem, they are told they must raise the flag once the attack breaks down, if they don't it will be assumed they missed the offside and they will be marked down.

The referee should then just acknowledge and say play advantage if the defending team would be disadvantaged by giving the free kick, for some reason this referee refused point blank to do this.

Yep, I made the same comment. Pointless to give offside, instantly slows the game down

Not the AR's problem, they are told they must raise the flag once the attack breaks down, if they don't it will be assumed they missed the offside and they will be marked down.

The referee should then just acknowledge and say play advantage if the defending team would be disadvantaged by giving the free kick, for some reason this referee refused point blank to do this.
Yes, I know all that. Just commenting on how pointless the AR's job has become. Glorified 'Touch Judges', except for when a ball 'in or out' of play leads to a goal, in which case they just buy the jelly beans

Yes, I know all that. Just commenting on how pointless the AR's job has become. Glorified 'Touch Judges', except for when a ball 'in or out' of play leads to a goal, in which case they just buy the jelly beans

You clearly don't understand the VAR protocol. ARs are still making the offside decisions, they just have to delay indicating their decisions until there is no chance of a goal occurring. Yes, VAR may then overrule their decision, and unlike referees there is no concept of it having needed to be a clear and obvious error, it is black and white and a millimetre off when they gave on will see them overruled.

Anyone who has operated at senior levels will know that ARs decisions are subjected to the minutest scrutiny even before VAR came along. As low as the National League the observer has to be provided with a copy of the game on DVD, and every close offside is reviewed and included on the assistant's observation.

I just don't understand your glorified touch judge comment, as the ARs are still calling offside decisions. That might well change in later years if they manage to get artificial intelligence judging offsides (trust me, that will take at least 5 and more likely 10 years).

You clearly don't understand the VAR protocol. ARs are still making the offside decisions, they just have to delay indicating their decisions until there is no chance of a goal occurring. Yes, VAR may then overrule their decision, and unlike referees there is no concept of it having needed to be a clear and obvious error, it is black and white and a millimetre off when they gave on will see them overruled.

Anyone who has operated at senior levels will know that ARs decisions are subjected to the minutest scrutiny even before VAR came along. As low as the National League the observer has to be provided with a copy of the game on DVD, and every close offside is reviewed and included on the assistant's observation.

I just don't understand your glorified touch judge comment, as the ARs are still calling offside decisions. That might well change in later years if they manage to get artificial intelligence judging offsides (trust me, that will take at least 5 and more likely 10 years).
Yes, yes, I know all that too. So your patronizing is misplaced!
The only glory of being an SG AR these days, is they get on the tele on a frequent basis. Their role is cosmetic. Their decisions have little or no consequence. Perhaps it's you who doesn't understand the game? Take that with the jest intended. It ain't a discussion about the VAR protocol so much

Last edited:

This could be a directive so that VAR process does not give defenders an advantage that otherwise would not have been.

Without VAR flag goes up early, free kick, no chance of a counter. Late flag means more commited attackers and no stoppage in play (if ref doesn't blow). This is advantageous the defenders. The aim of the delayed flag is to ensure a chance of a goal is not unfairly denied.

Back