A&H

Childish kid

Louis Clarke

I was refereeing U12s this morning, and a team that were 7-2 Up took one of their players off, this player ran off the pitch and started throwing his boots and anything he could find on the floor, He threw the home teams ball into the nearby woods, and then picked up ice and started throwing it at me from the touchline, not even his mum could calm him down, I finally approached the boy after he did it again and their manager stopped me and said please I'll stop him, and I left the situation alone. What would you have done in this situation? Their manager was clearly worried I was going to caution him, thanks everyone.

The Referee Store
I would have sent him off and told the manager/parents that he leaves the area or the game stops. If anyone was to throw anything at me, that's it, I don't care how old they are. Not on at all and all parties involved would have known it.

If the parent/manager can't control the player than that's their problem, not yours!

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

What an odd incident!

As you describe it, I'd have sent him off; sounds like he was a danger to himself and those around him.

Welcome to the site :)

I would have sent him off and told the manager/parents that he leaves the area or the game stops. If anyone was to throw anything at me, that's it, I don't care how old they are. Not on at all and all parties involved would have known it.

If the parent/manager can't control the player than that's their problem, not yours!

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Thanks for reply, Im quite new to refereeing so it's hard for me in some situations, thank you for your help!

For his off field tantrum.... i would have done nothing.... for throwing ice i would have red carded him.......without hesitation.As he escaped any kind of sanction, he will do it again.....................

I would have sent the player off, suspended the game until he was a safe distance away and unable to interfere with match control

As soon as the 'tantrum' started with the boot throwing started I would have stopped the game (when the ball next went off) and had a word with the manager informing him that if the boy wasn't dealt with then I'd need to do something.
The ice throwing is violent conduct so when it gets to that you have to send him off.

Leaving the field without permission is a caution. Throwing ice at you is a red card. Personally I'd just show the card from a distance. Then the coach can deal with it if he wants the game to resume.

I appreciate you're a new ref - but do you mind if I ask what was going through your head? As you say you didn't know how to deal with it, but did you recognise that at least one cautionable offence and red card offence had occurred? My only concern is that refereeing often sees situations we're not familiar with, so I want to try to look at your thought processes when faced with those situations.

@CapnBloodbeard not sure you've got the leaving the field bit right. From my understanding one team was thrashing the other so took a player off sportingly to make the game more even. Or it was a substitution because he does say a 'team ... took one of their players off'.

Ah yep, my mistake, I thought the player stormed off.

As for the tantrum then - I agree with others that there's probably no point in the referee dealing with that aspect. The ice throwing though?

Out of interest, I'd like to know how far away from the referee the ice actually was.

Back