A&H

Chelsea vs Tottenham

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Very "lively" first half.

Kyle Walker (again) having a kick out at a grounded Pedro off the ball, got away with just a lecture from Mark Clattenburg.

After an over the top challenge by Danny Rose on Willian, players from both sides reacted. Dembele appeared to claw Costa in the face with the assistant looking straight at the incident.

Will be surprised if this finishes 11v11 if it carries on in the 2nd half...

The Referee Store
It wouldn't be too surprising to see a couple of Tottenham players getting bans in the upcoming days

Being a Tottenham supporter I won't say too much. However, I do feel as though Chelsea got away with way too much as they always do.. Not condoning the behaviour of Tottenham but Chelsea are everything that's wrong with football. Out.

EDIT: Not sure this message is coming across the way I wanted it to. Delighted for Leicester, I really am. The haranguing of Clattenburg by Chelsea was disgraceful at times. Extremely difficult to referee, I feel MC did really well. Both teams should have had one or two players sent off (Tottenham probably should have had 3 or 4).

Last edited:
Tottenham lost their heads completely!

9 yellow cards, probably should have been a couple of reds as well. Expect an FA charge for both sides for failing to control their players and possibly a few retrospective punishments on video evidence. Clattenburg must have forgotten his red tonight, extremely lenient at times.

As a Chelsea fan, there was also a sense of satisfaction seeing Chelsea come from 2-0 behind, protect their unbeaten home record against Spurs and finish off their title hopes in the process! one of the rare times this season they have shown like they actually cared!

Congratulations Leicester, sensational story, first time English league winners for the first time in 38 years, incredible!

As an Arsenal fan, the only thing sweeter would have been Arsenal winning the league! Couldn't be happier for Leicester!

Tottenham completely lost their heads! Still not quite sure how it finished 11 v 11 :confused::hmmm:

Overall, unbelievably good refereeing under intense pressure. Would defy anyone else to have done better. Sure that Dembele will get a ban, reckon Walker and Lamela will survive just about. Whatever happened to the days when Tottenham were a 'powder puff' soft touch?!? :ninja::devil:

I think Mark Clattenburg had a brilliant game last night. Most of the time he got correct decisions. Hard to see how there were still 22 players on the pitch at the end but he did very well under all that pressure. One question though, should Pochettino (or however you spell his name) have been sent to the stands for what happened with the fight towards the end of the first half as he came onto the pitch? I support Bradford City and something similar happened last season against Milwall in the FA cup replay up at Bradford. There was a fight halfway between the technical area and the goal, the manager and assistant ran down to help get the Bradford players away and were sent to the stands as a result. How lenient should you be as a ref with rules surrounding the tech' area?

I think Mark Clattenburg had a brilliant game last night. Most of the time he got correct decisions. Hard to see how there were still 22 players on the pitch at the end but he did very well under all that pressure. One question though, should Pochettino (or however you spell his name) have been sent to the stands for what happened with the fight towards the end of the first half as he came onto the pitch? I support Bradford City and something similar happened last season against Milwall in the FA cup replay up at Bradford. There was a fight halfway between the technical area and the goal, the manager and assistant ran down to help get the Bradford players away and were sent to the stands as a result. How lenient should you be as a ref with rules surrounding the tech' area?

I thought that as well, but Geordie Clatts is an experienced referee who obviously considered that sending Pochettino to the stands would have served only to further inflame an already feisty match. :)
I thought he let one or two challenges go last night that most others would have blown up for but it was just one of those games. Nine Spurs players booked tells it's own story!! :p
He only got one major decision wrong last night for me and that was in the last minute of the match when, after a blatantly reckless challenge by Dier, he played "Advantage" for Chelsea, stopped play and cautioned Mason for bringing that to a halt with a cynical foul but then failed to go back and issue Dier (what would have been) his second yellow and subsequent red. :)
Difficult match to control but I think anybody else but Clattenburg would have struggled greatly on the night. :cool:

I thought that as well, but Geordie Clatts is an experienced referee who obviously considered that sending Pochettino to the stands would have served only to further inflame an already feisty match. :)
I thought he let one or two challenges go last night that most others would have blown up for but it was just one of those games. Nine Spurs players booked tells it's own story!! :p
He only got one major decision wrong last night for me and that was in the last minute of the match when, after a blatantly reckless challenge by Dier, he played "Advantage" for Chelsea, stopped play and cautioned Mason for bringing that to a halt with a cynical foul but then failed to go back and issue Dier (what would have been) his second yellow and subsequent red. :)
Difficult match to control but I think anybody else but Clattenburg would have struggled greatly on the night. :cool:
The fact he chose to play advantage surely implies that he was never planning to give Dier a yellow for that tackle - for whatever reason, he'd decided it wasn't worth a card, otherwise advantage shouldn't have been an option?

I agree that he had a very good game with respect to the incidents he saw - it's just a shame that his assistant didn't give him some help for Walker's kick early on and that unfortunately none of them saw Dembele's scratch/gouge

The fact he chose to play advantage surely implies that he was never planning to give Dier a yellow for that tackle - for whatever reason, he'd decided it wasn't worth a card, otherwise advantage shouldn't have been an option?

Not at all.
Clatts clearly likes the game to flow and that's all he was doing. Advantage is always an option Graeme. The good book tells us that it discourages this after a potential SFP red card challenge, but for a reckless (yellow) challenge, it's always an option. ;)

Perfectly acceptable to play advantage after a reckless challenge and go back and caution later

Reactions: Kes
I agree Dier should have gone for 2YC, and he got it right about Pochettino getting involved. He was not aggressive or inflaming the situation - a good call.

Yes there will be a ban for Dembele but also what was the "tunnel incident" over. Looks like Vorm was the trouble causer.

Reactions: Kes
Not at all.
Clatts clearly likes the game to flow and that's all he was doing. Advantage is always an option Graeme. The good book tells us that it discourages this after a potential SFP red card challenge, but for a reckless (yellow) challenge, it's always an option. ;)
Given it would have been his second yellow if Clatts decided it was worthy of one, surely letting the game flow is discouraged for the exact same reason - you don't want that player to go on and be involved in a counter-attacking goal?

Given it would have been his second yellow if Clatts decided it was worthy of one, surely letting the game flow is discouraged for the exact same reason - you don't want that player to go on and be involved in a counter-attacking goal?

See post # 11 ;)

See post # 11 ;)
There's a difference between something that is technically allowed in law (and I'm not disputing that there was no reason in law he would have HAD to stop play) and something that is considered good refereeing practice.

Anyway, it's a moot point as he didn't show a yellow for that tackle. All I was originally suggesting is that the decision to play advantage implies that he was never planning to show that second yellow.

Anyway, it's a moot point as he didn't show a yellow for that tackle. All I was originally suggesting is that the decision to play advantage implies that he was never planning to show that second yellow.

Yes I know. ;)
My point was that I believe Clattenburg did intend to show a yellow, but after having chased his "advantage" play upfield, and then been distracted by the next yellow for Mason, he either forgot the identity of the defender (Dier) (easily done) or just decided to leave it and save himself the hassle since it would be an automatic red and it was now the last kick of the match. :)

Yes I know. ;)
My point was that I believe Clattenburg did intend to show a yellow, but after having chased his "advantage" play upfield, and then been distracted by the next yellow for Mason, he either forgot the identity of the defender (Dier) (easily done) or just decided to leave it and save himself the hassle since it would be an automatic red and it was now the last kick of the match. :)
thats a good point, in fact i think he was trying to explain that (that they had time to take the free kick and that was it) to the chelsea players that were surrounding him and gesticulating back down the FOP to where Diers tackle was.

Not going back to caution was a poor show.
Not sure from what angle thatr challenge WASN'T looking like a caution.

Back