A&H

Chelsea vs Arsenal - Womens FA Cup Final

DJ3

wanted to see what people thought of this pen appeal in the match today, at 2:16 in (18 on the clock):

The Referee Store
ref did not give as pen and there was no VAR to overturn (only found out today there's no VAR at womens games, even the fa cup final!)

It's a penalty ultimately IMO.

One very rarely given though, similar to when a played slides into block a shot and catches the man after the shot.

It's a penalty ultimately IMO.

One very rarely given though, similar to when a played slides into block a shot and catches the man after the shot.
It's a tough one as there is an advantage. The difficult question is was the advantage more beneficial than a penalty.
I think the answer here is no, but I think once that shot it made and saved it then becomes very difficult to come back and award a penalty.. 2 bites of the cherry and that...

I would be giving the pk here, hopefully as soon as the tackle comes in
We dont see the refs position to judge whether she has or can see it, the ar could call it but its an opinion foul esp real time and probably bordering on the not so credible side
As James says above, you get a split second to say, pk, or, is play continuing more beneficial.
Its one of the times a quick whistle beats a delayed one

it does become awkward if you wait until the shot, if the ref has not signalled advantage ( and i doubt she played an advantage here), then you can go bk to the foul, ' guys, she was taken late, its a foul, i was just waiting to see what happens next, same as i have been doing on halfway"
Hopefully not too many are actually playing and signalling advantage here, its either a pk, or simply a missed foul by the referee team.

The lack of appeals was surprising. Obviously being a Chelsea fan, tad biased, but looks a nailed on penalty to me.

Quite a few in the men's game I can think of who could learn a thing or 2 from the timing of Kerr's run and lob over the keeper for the 3rd goal 👍

Back