A&H

Chelsea v Ars CC

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Not lived up to the last tie yet but heres hoping!!

I assume VAR is on show tonight! (corrected)

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Brilliant VAR intervention. Ref says "so whaddya want me to do", gets the reply from Swarbrick and then proceeds to have a word with the two players... rather than at least caution for throwing the opponent to the ground. Brilliant - now throwing your opponent to the ground is given a green light by the video assistant. I look forward to dealing with that on Sunday morning!

I could have reffed that from the centre circle!!! Minty on the mic sat in the club bar as my VAR!!!

Brilliant VAR intervention. Ref says "so whaddya want me to do", gets the reply from Swarbrick and then proceeds to have a word with the two players... rather than at least caution for throwing the opponent to the ground. Brilliant - now throwing your opponent to the ground is given a green light by the video assistant. I look forward to dealing with that on Sunday morning!

He isn't allowed to caution based on the VAR rules being used. So unless the VAR told him that it was VC, which it wasn't, this was an example of it working correctly. There are set criteria, and a missed caution isn't one of them.

Did he push him with excessive force??? Violently??? Aggressive Attitude..It certainly wasn't nothing!!! . I guess it was after earlier discussions on the Fer 'tackle' and his attempted assault according to some correspondents??

I was at the match supporting the good guys in Red. We had absolutely no idea what was going on with VAR. Seemed like VAR was consulted twice?? At least that’s how many times play was stopped for a long time with thousands of people having no idea why. They need to think about the in stadium experience for fans and how they will let them know. The hand to the ear is not enough.

He isn't allowed to caution based on the VAR rules being used. So unless the VAR told him that it was VC, which it wasn't, this was an example of it working correctly. There are set criteria, and a missed caution isn't one of them.
Again, you say it worked "correctly". That is not the point. There was a clear offence. The VAR reviewed it, the offence was not punished. Tens of thousands of people in the stadium and millions more at home had no idea what was going on. And millions of them will assume what they saw was not an offence.

It was a massive VAR fail again. Yes, it was "correct" by the procedure in place but it was also a disaster and a total embarrassment!

This week, in the two UK games I have seen, VAR has failed because of inconclusive cameras, bad procedure, poor communications. Keep saying it's correct if that works for you. With respect, SS:)

Last edited:
Heard today that when American Football brought it in, it failed miserably so they sacked it off for a bit, tweaked it, brought it back and now it seems to work better!! I can't comment on if it works for them or not but it shows that you can learn and tweak things to make them work!!

Again, you say it worked "correctly". That is not the point. There was a clear offence. The VAR reviewed it, the offence was not punished. Tens of thousands of people in the stadium and millions more at home had no idea what was going on. And millions of them will assume what they saw was not an offence.

It was a massive VAR fail again. Yes, it was "correct" by the procedure in place but it was also a disaster and a total embarrassment!

This week, in the two UK games I have seen, VAR has failed because of inconclusive cameras, bad procedure, poor communications. Keep saying it's correct if that works for you. Wity respect, SS:)

My point was that it was working to the agreed criteria. Whilst I agree there was potential grounds for a caution for throwing the defender to the floor, the referee simply cannot do that on VAR evidence. Should he be able to, probably yes, but he can't as it is working. So again, it is working as designed.

I haven't seen this incident if a clear yellow card incident is identified during a allowable review, the referee must caution. You cant initiate a review for a yellow card.
1515712026326.png

The game was stopped and Atkinson was listening to VAR for a while, presumably about a possible Chelsea penalty that had just occurred.

If VAR thought it was a penalty, Atkinson should have:
a) taken the advice
b) reviewed the incident pitch-side

The game was stopped and they talked... then nothing happened?

If VAR didn't think it was a penalty - they shouldn't have been talking.

This seems to contradict what Rusty says above - does the Prem have different guidelines from the IFAB?
Not necessarily. It has to be a CLEAR yellow card. Rusty said a 'potential'. As i said, I haven't seen the incident.

I doubt the guidelines will be different.

The game was stopped and Atkinson was listening to VAR for a while, presumably about a possible Chelsea penalty that had just occurred.

If VAR thought it was a penalty, Atkinson should have:
a) taken the advice
b) reviewed the incident pitch-side

The game was stopped and they talked... then nothing happened?

If VAR didn't think it was a penalty - they shouldn't have been talking.

and that was my issue in the stadium - we had no idea what was going on. The person manning the VAR should only initiate a review if it's worth the referee going over to the screen and having a look. this standing around with the finger in the ear is ridiculous. It should be implicit that key incidents are reviewed by VAR and if the referee doesn't jog over to the pitch side screen then the VAR has determined there was issue to deal with.

Reactions: JH
What if it was a review for a red card offence? Like a violent shove? Is that VARable???
My understanding is you can initiate a review if you suspect it was a red or below. But you can't review if you suspect it was a yellow or below.

@WilliamD, a bit of semantic but VAR can't initiate a review. The only person who can initiate a review is the referee. VAR or any other official can suggest a review to the referee. The referee can then initiate it or choose to ignore it.

Back