A&H

Chelsea Game - Player prevents card been shown

I think the discussion thread has become a little blurred with 3-4 different examples of a referee being touched

To be clear - I am OK to not red card a player who touches me in a quick, soft, non-aggressive manner ... to me Atkinson looked very calm, in full control, wasn't making a fuss of the situation, and managed that specific situation OK

It probably is a different thread entirely - but - how many of us are happy for referees to touch players ..? I am

The Referee Store
Errrrr - ummm - anything I think is appropriate to help me manage the game - 3 examples - any problems with these ..?
  1. Hand on a shoulder to draw a player's attention to where I am / stop them engaging in silliness
  2. Standing in a player's way to get between 2 youth players to stop something escalating
  3. Shaking the hand of a player who just scored an over-head kick goal

Errrrr - ummm - anything I think is appropriate to help me manage the game - 3 examples - any problems with these ..?
  1. Hand on a shoulder to draw a player's attention to where I am / stop them engaging in silliness
  2. Standing in a player's way to get between 2 youth players to stop something escalating
  3. Shaking the hand of a player who just scored an over-head kick goal
1. Yes just be careful to pick your battles.
2. Probably.
3 NO. Not under any circumstances. Just causes you a lot more problems.

No. 3 (above) - I did on Sunday ... u13 - fella scores an over-head kick goal from outside the box - best goal I've ever seen scored - I didn't run after him but as I approached the half-way line to re-start play he was there ... "mate, that was fantastic - well done" and shook his hand

I've just done a game in the mud - player ran through mud & puddles for 20-30 yards, past defenders, stayed on his feet - good finish ... as he trotted past me I said to him "good goal"

I'm very happy to talk to players this way - I know what @Josh says above can be correct - but I like to think I'm experienced enough to read a situation and when to say something like this (or not!) - for me it aides my match control / communication

No. 3 (above) - I did on Sunday ... u13 - fella scores an over-head kick goal from outside the box - best goal I've ever seen scored - I didn't run after him but as I approached the half-way line to re-start play he was there ... "mate, that was fantastic - well done" and shook his hand

I've just done a game in the mud - player ran through mud & puddles for 20-30 yards, past defenders, stayed on his feet - good finish ... as he trotted past me I said to him "good goal"

I'm very happy to talk to players this way - I know what @Josh says above can be correct - but I like to think I'm experienced enough to read a situation and when to say something like this (or not!) - for me it aides my match control / communication

It's all about picking your moment i guess, just wouldn't shake a players hand during a game after scoring. Maybe a quick comment as he runs past but I just think obviously shaking his hand opens up a negative interpretation from the conceding manager. Cue accusations of bias etc.

Yep - pick moments - agreed - the game was a youth game, score was 7-0 at the time - I wouldn't have shook his hand (publicly) if it was an OA close game

I got it wrong once 2-3 years ago - I "unlucky" to a defender who had made 2-3 great blocks before a goal was scored - one of the other defenders went ballistic and said I was mugging him off

I will often shake a player's hand who is departing (subbed) especially if I am managing the sub myself

Last edited:
Yep - pick moments - agreed - the game was a youth game, score was 7-0 at the time - I wouldn't have shook his hand (publicly) if it was an OA close game

I got it wrong once - I "unlucky" to a defender who had made 2-3 great blocks before a goal was scored - one of the other defenders went ballistic and said I was mugging him off

I will often shake a player's hand who is departing (subbed) especially if I am managing the sub myself

I have got it wrong as well. Most of the time players are up for a joke or conversation with you but all it takes is one wrong interpretation. Stopping a referee issuing a card imo should be dealt with per incident, so if it's just a light incident then a PB, if it's quite forceful (holding hand down) then caution and being aggressive is red.

@Alex71 I've shaken the hand of a u14 who scored. His team was 5-0 down and he leathered one in from his own half. Massively wind assisted, but amazing strike none the less.

I agree, while putting hands on the ref is a no no, ivanovich hasn't done a lot physically. Caution seems correct.

595916lacaz.gif

Those french and their romantism :D

he what now?

A verb, which means to grab someone between their butt cheeks and to squeeze, almost with an intent to hurt, although it is often done in a joking, playful manner between friends. The most common way to goose someone is with the fingers and thumb of one hand. The fingers grab from the bottom, and the thumb from the top. Then, in an upwards, and squeezing motion, you goose them. It is normally done while the "receiver" is wearing clothes, although there is no reason why it couldn't be done without clothes.

A verb, which means to grab someone between their butt cheeks and to squeeze, almost with an intent to hurt, although it is often done in a joking, playful manner between friends. The most common way to goose someone is with the fingers and thumb of one hand. The fingers grab from the bottom, and the thumb from the top. Then, in an upwards, and squeezing motion, you goose them. It is normally done while the "receiver" is wearing clothes, although there is no reason why it couldn't be done without clothes.
What????

Are you sure it's nothing to do with goose from top gun? #goosedies :)

Back