A&H

Checking Players......

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
As U18 players were facing me just prior to boot check(before facing away from me) i tell them no jewellrey to be worn neck wrists hands or otherwise.. quick visual check i could see nothing (mistake!) done boot check quick talk and all done. Six minutes into the game i noticed a plaver with a band around his wrist with a metal clasp.Play was already stopped for a corner, and i asked him to leave the field of play to remove it and gave him a YC for his troubles.Should have done a check on all players individually, just the once i didn't do it and paid the price.......Not making that mistake again......

The Referee Store
I always explain in my pre match briefing that if anyone is wearing any Jewellery that they need to remove it now. I then I go on to say that if during the game I see you are wearing Jewellery you will be cautioned and asked to leave the field of play to remove the offending item which will result in leaving your team down to 10 men for a period of time while I am satisfied the item is removed. A quick visual is all it should take along with a word of warning if this is ignored . I am sure some of the more experienced referees on here will have more detailed information :). Dont be to hard on yourself as if some choose to ignore your warnings about Jewellery there isn't a lot you can do until at such time you notice during the game then they are fully aware of the punishment it brings.

Last edited:
I normally get the players to show me their hands and wrists,and just pull down the front of the neckline of their shirts to see if there is any jewellrey... just getting complacent....

Have to agree - I'm not sure what the offence is here. Having to leave the field to remove jewellery, etc. and wait to return always seems punishment enough anyway, especially given the stick they get from their teammates!

For me, I try and help the players by telling them beforehand but it's not my job to do a strip search on them! I'm always irritated when I notice something I missed at the start but it's their responsibility as adults to make sure they're dressed appropriately after all!

I was lead to believe that if after briefing the players regards Jewellery pre game and you then noticed a player wearing an item of Jewellery it was a caution offence - before you ask I have not cautioned anyone for so if I am wrong I haven't made a mistake by doing so ;-)

I am the same, generally get them all in beforehand and ask to see their wrists, hands, pull shirt do their neck etc to see for jewelry. I have had a horrendous issue with leeds festival bands, (Simular to what ythe OP is talking about) with the metal clip.

I admittedly have missed 2 this season too (that I caught), they must get wise and slide it all the way up their arm maybe... but i saw them and asked them to remove them before carrying on. I didn't caution though, i don;t know what offence that would be to caution for?

I like the kids who have just got their ears pierced... but ref I can't take it out.... my repsonse it but player if you can't take it out you can't play.... its amazing most of the time how quickly they then come out!

@Rob - the wearing of jewellery is a Law 4 breach, not cautionable. They need to leave the FOP and cannot return to play until you are satisfied that the problem is fixed, ie next stoppage.

Agreed....

What caution code did you use?!..... wearing jewelry is not a cautionable offence.

I have a zero tollerence approach to jewellery. No wedding rings, no charity bands.... no nothing.

I have cautioned once for the above , asked player to go off and remove his chain , at next stoppage waved him back on , 5 mins later noticed he still had it on ? Technically i know i should have checked !

But that act was really taking the p i s s . Dissent all day long

Yeah... That's fine.. a caution for dissent or similar is what it amounts to I think.

The players are to be inspected before the match begins and substitutes before they enter the field of play. If a player is discovered to be wearing unauthorised clothing or jewellery during play, the referee must:

• inform the player that the item in question must be removed

• order the player to leave the field of play at the next stoppage if he is unable or unwilling to comply

• caution the player if he wilfully refuses to comply or, having been told to remove the item, is discovered to be wearing the item again

If play is stopped to caution the player, an indirect free kick must be awarded to the opposing team from the position of the ball when play was stopped (see Law 13 – Position of free kick).

@HullRef .... like I said..... any caution would be for the dissent....ie refusing to remove the jewellery or leave the field when told.. ;)

Glad you wrote that, Hull

there is a worrying lack of knowledge about the lotg being displayed on this thread - assessors included :eek:

mandatory caution for refusing to remove unauthorised clothing or jewellery when asked...or be found wearing it again :rolleyes:

You need to explain more clearly mate. The people can learn from advice rather than sniping at one another....

Any caution would NOT be for wearing jewellery...... it would be for the dissent of not doing as the referee told them...

I will leave you to it pal.
Some people are beyond help and advice..... trouble is, those people tend to make life harder for others to do things properly!....

Good luck.

The caution should come for the player having failed to comply after being sent from the field of play for failing to comply with an instruction from the referee. The player shouldn't be cautioned if the referee hasn't seen it in the first place.

My own method for managing this situation is to tell the players when I'm conducting the equipment check. I say that they should ensure they comply now because once the game has started, if I see an item which doesn't comply, they will be sent to the touchline to correct their equipment. I continue by saying I have to check it has been corrected before they can re-enter the field ... so they might end up being off the field for a little while. Works the trick every time. Be proactive not reactive.

Back