A&H

CHE - SOU

The Referee Store
I think it's reckless/serious foul play borderline. One of those where no one would complain if he was sent off but probably not enough for the VAR to overturn the yellow and suggest the red.

Looks like an obvious red card to me. If kicking someone in the head and sending them to hospital isn't excessive force, then what is?

"sending them to hospital" is a massive hindsight though, isn't it? How can the referee on the pitch know that this would be the result of the failed kick? It's accidental more than anything but I stand by me stance - no one would complain about the red, but not a clear and obvious error. Having said that, all the best wishes to Azpilicueta.

Anyone not giving at red on that failed bicycle kick attempt? Yellow seems like a C&O mistake here
Wouldn't you need to then ban overhead kicks?

It's different to someone flying through the air from a distance with a super high foot.

I don’t belie e it is still there, but there used to be specific guidance somewhere about bicycle/scissors kicks saying they were not prohibited so long as they did not endanger an opponent. It’s really not unlike any other play: a players are responsible for taking due care in their actions. When the foot gets above the waist, due care includes being certain you aren’t kicking someone else.

I don’t belie e it is still there, but there used to be specific guidance somewhere about bicycle/scissors kicks saying they were not prohibited so long as they did not endanger an opponent. It’s really not unlike any other play: a players are responsible for taking due care in their actions. When the foot gets above the waist, due care includes being certain you aren’t kicking someone else.
Still there, in the IFK section of Law 12.

Strictly following law I think that has to be a red card. But using the "football expects" criteria, I don't think anyone wants a red card for it, it is just seen as part of a normal footballing action.

Back