A&H

Challenge after a shot

JH

RefChat Addict
There is often inconsistency with what you see on TV in terms of tackles after an attacker has just taken a shot. I've seen some referees give penalties and free kicks for late challenges after a shot and some completely ignore them.

An example just happened in Arsenal vs AC Milan, Ramsey took a shot then immediately got wiped out recklessly by Borini. Referee ignored.

When would and wouldn't you punish it with a free kick/penalty? (given the ball is still in play)
If the ball was out of play, would you administer a card and restart with a goal kick or corner?

The Referee Store
For me it depends on how late the challenge is/was and if you could consider the shot as the advantage. I'll then administer cards etc once ball is out of play similar to what you would any other advantage.

I've given penalties for this, sludge tackles shouldn't go unpunished, they'll claim all sorts in defence, like he got his shot away or whatever but the tackle can affect everything, balance, expecting getting hit, anything, If it upsets them so be it!!

Even less excuse for the foul, it would have to be a great advantage for me not to blow........

What about the more ambiguous ones, when the contact comes when the ball has just gone out for example? (Obviously not a FK/Pen, but in terms of caution/dismissal)

You have to think of credibility here. I've given them, but more often when a player gets a cross away and is taken out rather than after a shot. If it is after a shot you need to have a view of where the ball is, if he's thumped the shot and it is clearly out of play before the foul occurs I don't see how that can be a penalty. You could of course give a goal kick and caution for the late challenge, but that will be an interesting sell as you would have to explain to the players that it was a foul in the penalty area but not a penalty.

Not really that difficult to sell. 'Ball was out first' is all you need. I'd want it to be absolutely clear it's out if I'm not giving the penalty here

You have to think of credibility here. I've given them, but more often when a player gets a cross away and is taken out rather than after a shot. If it is after a shot you need to have a view of where the ball is, if he's thumped the shot and it is clearly out of play before the foul occurs I don't see how that can be a penalty. You could of course give a goal kick and caution for the late challenge, but that will be an interesting sell as you would have to explain to the players that it was a foul in the penalty area but not a penalty.
Phil Dowd once did this in a PL game. Think it was Evra. Caution and Gk as ball out of play before FT

Had a few similar incidents at youth level. During an u13s match, keeper wiped out attacker inside the 6 yard box, but the forward's heavy touch took the ball out of play before the keeper clattered him. Parents and a few players were screaming penalty and couldn't understand why I gave a goal kick instead.

Had no hesitation in yellow carding an u15s player earlier this season for taking out an attacker as the ball hit the back of the net. Defender lost control of the ball on the edge of his area trying to play out from defence, attacker nicked it off him and smashed the ball past the keeper from about 10 yards, defender trying to make up for his mistake tried to wrap his foot around from behind, but ball was already in the net and only succeeded in flattening the goalscorer. Caused a few puzzled looks from the defending team's players when I pulled out a card and allowed the goal to stand :D

I find that if it's a bad enough tackle that you have to give a card, then not giving the penalty isn't so bad. It's when it's not even card worth - because all the players know is that the player 'fouled' them and got away with it scot free.
but this happens anywhere on the pitch. So it's worth considering having a word with the player, I think.
The 'late slide' is a tricky one - the players seem to accept that there's a bit of desperation permitted here and I think the bar is set a bit higher than anywhere else on the pitch. which is a bit odd, in a way - especially as so often these slides are straight AT the attacker from the side, rather than the front. I've awarded penalties for these even to have the attacking team surprised!

840 miles this week, I thinks I turned a bit funny visiting Ruislip, Dunmow and Great Eastern in Essex before returning back to civilisation near Leicester!!!

Back