A&H

Ceremonial FK

As the player is standing at the corner flag and he puts that ball down, I will check its in/on that arc and say " on my whistle player" get myself in position, edge of box nearest to where corner being taken and i'm saying to the players " keep your hands down i'm watching all of you" and i blow my whistle.... always have done always will..man management and they all know i'm watching :)

i very rarely blow my whistle for a corner

edit; just to add, only do it when theres been an unnatural break in play

The Referee Store
i very rarely blow my whistle for a corner
I will correct myself, if its a straight forward.... player puts ball down for corner, players are in the box and waiting and all is good i just wave it on...... however if i have to have words with jostling players or corner kicker not putting ball where it should be i will then blow the whistle because i am delaying the kick , so my then whistle lets everyone know its good to go :)

Rusty, "can I protect my face?"... "no you can't"... of course he can. But if the ball strikes them, its handball.
Not for me is that handball - the hand has to "strike" the ball, not the other way around. OK, I do youth and vets, and for youth I do brief a wall that a ball hitting their hand that is protecting parts that matter, no problem, but if they have their hands outside of their body, I'm giving the handball (under the premise of intentionally making their body larger).

Common sense prevails here..... if a player at the last possible split second gives a reflex hand to face protection.... no handball...... but if he sees the ball coming maybe 3-4 seconds away then uses his hands, then for me a penalty....because he then had time to turn his head away to protect himself...........

Common sense prevails here..... if a player at the last possible split second gives a reflex hand to face protection.... no handball...... but if he sees the ball coming maybe 3-4 seconds away then uses his hands, then for me a penalty....because he then had time to turn his head away to protect himself...........
Exactly the thoughts behind my quoted post above :)

I agree with mike on that one... surely if the player had their hand up to protect their face well before the free kick was taken then it is not a natural reflex to a ball shot at close proximity with no or limited time. Hence I agree being proactive here as a ref and warning them, should help you as a ref when you do decide to penalise them for a DHB!

As a counterpoint to the advice often given in this thread, I had a FK this weekend, walked the player back to inside the area and said "You're inside the area player, so no hands or it'll be a penalty", to which he replied "What are you telling me that for? It's always a penalty if it hits hands in the area!"

I guess you can't win sometimes!

As a counterpoint to the advice often given in this thread, I had a FK this weekend, walked the player back to inside the area and said "You're inside the area player, so no hands or it'll be a penalty", to which he replied "What are you telling me that for? It's always a penalty if it hits hands in the area!"

I guess you can't win sometimes!

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: meh yes you grin and smile. I'll be watching that smartmouth closely for the rest of the game, surely he will find his way to my good book somehow!! :devil::devil::devil:

but yes you can't win them all.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: meh yes you grin and smile. I'll be watching that smartmouth closely for the rest of the game, surely he will find his way to my good book somehow!! :devil::devil::devil:

but yes you can't win them all.
I know you've posted in the thread I started earlier - same match, and this player is the RB who found himself at LW to try and pick a fight and got booked for his troubles at that point. So yeah, definitely a troublemaker!

Had a good one the other week players in box waiting for free kick to come in, ball falls short bounces up hits defender from behind on his forearm, all shouts for a penalty, and i wave it away with a brief courteous explanation..... now if that defender was an owl with 360 degree head rotation i would have given the penalty :)

Had a good one the other week players in box waiting for free kick to come in, ball falls short bounces up hits defender from behind on his forearm, all shouts for a penalty, and i wave it away with a brief courteous explanation..... now if that defender was an owl with 360 degree head rotation i would have given the penalty :)

ahhh he's fooled you there ;)

Christ where does it end?
Telling players a handball in the box will be a pen sounds like you're taking the p*ss.
Should I remind them where the penalty spot is if I give the pen?
Also (as per the OP) since when is a handball in the box a mandatory caution? I'd say it almost certainly isn't a caution.

If it's inside I just warn them about arms out I don't do nothing and all I say is in line with me

Back