A&H

Center blew for a foul, shot went in the goal & goal was awarded

Ref X

RefChat Addict
Grassroots Referee
This happened yesterday while I was AR2 and this happened on the other half of the field. Game was a decent-level BU13 game. Players were pretty skilled for that age but the temperature of the game never got too high.

A player was dribbling into the box and was fouled. At the same time, he wildly swung for the ball and connected.

The referee blew their whistle, I assume to award a penalty.

The player luckily made good contact with the ball and it went past the goalkeeper and into the net.

The center awarded the goal even with all the parents behind me complaining that they'd blown their whistle.

We all (here in this thread) know the goal should have been disallowed and the penalty awarded because of the whistle before the goal was scored. [Insert mandatory slow whistle reminder here haha].

My question is: should I have done something as AR2 here?
  • I don't want to call out my center who I'm supposed to be supporting in the middle of a game. Definitely don't want to have to run onto the field to correct a call.
  • On the other hand, I did just allow the center to award a goal that shouldn't have been. Also definitely not good.
What would you have done?

The Referee Store
At my level there is some self preservation here. If this was reported, even as the inactive assistant referee I'd be suspended along with the referee and the other assistant.

I think this is one of those cases where you have to act/intervene and insist on the correct outcome.

Is it calling out your centre or are you protecting him from an almighty F-Up?

Did you clarify with him after the game? What did he say?

Did you clarify with him after the game? What did he say?
I did not and absolutely should have. We had a 15 minute break before my next game and I was centering so while preparing for that, I lost the call between the matches. Really remembered it when I got home.

If this was reported, even as the inactive assistant referee I'd be suspended along with the referee and the other assistant.
This game was definitely not at that level but I hear you loud and clear. It's a big f-up if it's at a high-level.

I think this is one of those cases where you have to act/intervene and insist on the correct outcome.
Yeah, I've been thinking about this since it happened yesterday and feeling like I'll make this decision next time. First time this has happened to me and now that I've experienced it once, it will be easier to make the right decision next time.

I had a similar (but very different) dillema at a university match with center showing 2 x yellow to the same away player and not producing a red.

AR 1 - I had a full match record, home bench were doing their nut, away bench kept very very quiet.

Called ref over, he insisted that he hadn't booked that player despite me having the players number, time and being able to describe the incident clearly. AR2 came in, didn't have a written record (pre-match instructions) but did support my written record.

Both benches could see I'd tried to do my bit, and I was confident (in my preservation) that if it was reported I'd have covered myself sufficiently. Thankfully it made no obvious difference to the outcome - home win.

Reactions: one
I had a similar (but very different) dillema at a university match with center showing 2 x yellow to the same away player and not producing a red.

AR 1 - I had a full match record, home bench were doing their nut, away bench kept very very quiet.

Called ref over, he insisted that he hadn't booked that player despite me having the players number, time and being able to describe the incident clearly. AR2 came in, didn't have a written record (pre-match instructions) but did support my written record.

Both benches could see I'd tried to do my bit, and I was confident (in my preservation) that if it was reported I'd have covered myself sufficiently. Thankfully it made no obvious difference to the outcome - home win.
WAs the referee genuine when he said that player was not booked first time? Sounds like a ref cheating - to me.

My standard instruction and one I hear from many referees is that, if I am wrong in law, call me over and we have a chat. I don't care if you throw me under the bus when I am wrong in law.

However I have a feeling (and I have seen this happen before), this is a case of the referee thinking two wrongs making a right. Not many football people out there think a goal can be allowed if scored after the whistle. In all likelihood this referee thought he stuffed up by being too quick on the whistle and he tried to make it right by allowing the goal. It puts you in a very difficult situation where you feel damned if you do damned if you don't. That's why pre-match instructions and asking questions are important.

My advice, if you don't have instructions, if wrong in law, 'throw him under the bus'. My rational, that would be three wrongs as far as he is concerned, with the first one being not giving instructions.

WAs the referee genuine when he said that player was not booked first time? Sounds like a ref cheating - to me.
I wouldn't want to speculate but I actually think he was massively inexperienced and significantly out of his depth. Doesn't explain the response when given the right info though!

This happened yesterday while I was AR2 and this happened on the other half of the field. Game was a decent-level BU13 game. Players were pretty skilled for that age but the temperature of the game never got too high.

A player was dribbling into the box and was fouled. At the same time, he wildly swung for the ball and connected.

The referee blew their whistle, I assume to award a penalty.

The player luckily made good contact with the ball and it went past the goalkeeper and into the net.

The center awarded the goal even with all the parents behind me complaining that they'd blown their whistle.

We all (here in this thread) know the goal should have been disallowed and the penalty awarded because of the whistle before the goal was scored. [Insert mandatory slow whistle reminder here haha].

My question is: should I have done something as AR2 here?
  • I don't want to call out my center who I'm supposed to be supporting in the middle of a game. Definitely don't want to have to run onto the field to correct a call.
  • On the other hand, I did just allow the center to award a goal that shouldn't have been. Also definitely not good.
What would you have done?
If you were on buzzers, then I may be tempted to buzz and get his attention immediately. Then move from the touchline and ask him quietly, out of the earshot of the players. I may even be tempted to point to something else just to distract the players.

But I would not flag to raw attention to you.

Back