A&H

Celtic v Livingston offside

The Referee Store
hmm. I think that is still a deliberate play with the recent tweaks. And I don’t think the OSP player was close enough to be challenging. I think that should be a good goal.

The OSP makes a darting run towards the ball, but agree, I don’t think that’s enough based on previous guidance.

Does someone have the list?

I would say deliberate based on the defender is going for the ball but misjudges it, still deliberate for me.

I'm going not deliberate play. Defender not in control of the ball, and ultimately the ball was to high for him to get a clean contact , causing the ball to deflect off his head.

I don't think actual 'control' is or should be a criteria otherwise any shanking of a clearance shot is not deliberate play because they don't control it.

The defender watches the ball all the way from the moment it was kicked and the bounce. If he misjudged the bounce then he had every chance of good control and I would call it deliberate. If the did get a bad or unexpected bounce then I would call it rebound. Need a different video angle to call it.

I very much don't like the idea that we have to be considering the condition of the pitch and ball in offside decisions, that's too much mental load to be putting on officials.

What I think we can all agree is that the ball basically ended up where the attacking player was attempting to play it and the defender's touch was basically immaterial in stopping that. So I'm happy with this being called off.

Things to consider on new deliberate play guidance.

Distance ball travels
Speed it travels
Is defenders action a reflex? Are they stretching for the ball?

Also potentially a chance that offside has been given through interfering with an opponent

Whether we agree with it or not, offisde ought to have been given. There are more extreme examples than this in IFAB's list of video examples
My interpretation... when in doubt, favour the defender
Yes, until the more recent guidance I'd have gone the other way entirely, but when you look at the videos the interpretation now does clearly skew in favour of the defending team again.

the thing I don’t like about the new guidance is it is much mushier. What I do like about it is that it is more fair in the overall scheme of things. To me (without going back to re-look) the defender had enough time and space to play the ball that it should be considered a play and therefore not OS. But I do think it’s close.

the thing I don’t like about the new guidance is it is much mushier. What I do like about it is that it is more fair in the overall scheme of things. To me (without going back to re-look) the defender had enough time and space to play the ball that it should be considered a play and therefore not OS. But I do think it’s close.
I agree. The ball isn't moving at pace, he's had plenty of time to see it, and just makes a complete mess of the header. Really feels like it should be onside to me, but it is right on the line I'd say.

Back