A&H

Cavani contact with AR

The Referee Store
I personlly wouldn't class that as violent conduct. I think it falls better under the category of Adopting an Aggressive attitude.

Would need to see it in real time and not drama inducing slow motion! You can't shove an AR though, potentially a straight red there.

I personlly wouldn't class that as violent conduct. I think it falls better under the category of Adopting an Aggressive attitude.
No such thing as AAA under the laws.
Any sort of aggression with physical contact on a referee MUST be a red card. I find it amazing that some on here disagree.

No such thing as AAA under the laws.
Any sort of aggression with physical contact on a referee MUST be a red card. I find it amazing that some on here disagree.
Thanks for pointing that out, I genuinely thought it was in the interpretation section under unsporting behaviour :p:rolleyes:

I do still disagree though, I think that this isn't a case of violent conduct because IMO there was no violence in it. I see what you mean with the aggression and contact thing but I wouldn't be sending a player off if he did this to another player so I don't see why I should give myself or my assistant any special treatment for something like this.

I wouldn't be sending a player off if he did this to another player so I don't see why I should give myself or my assistant any special treatment for something like this.

Are you serious?
So you're not going to send off a player for a 2 handed push in your chest?
and you would expect a 3 match ban for punching the ref?

Anyone who wouldn't RC for this is letting every other ref in the country down and is partly responsible for future referee assaults.

Last edited by a moderator:
@deusex Yes of course I would send a player off for a two handed push to my chest, what relevance that has to this scenario I don't know.

Unless I'm missing something, all I see is a player "square up" to the assistant, very similar to the Joe Hart/Michael Oliver incident.

No I wouldn't expect a 3 match ban for punching a ref, nor do I think it is a sufficient ban for a punch on an opposition player.

You have stated that you don't see why an act on a referee should be treated any differently from a player.
You then say you would send off a player fro a 2 handed push to your chest (something most would consider a caution 95% of the time).
You also state a 3 match ban for punching a ref is insufficent, put that is all a player punch will get most of the time.
Are these not contradictions?

In fairness if you think the below wasn't a red card, we fundamentally disagree on what's acceptable conduct toward a referee. If you allowed any of this to happen to me as an AR, I'd have lost all respect for you and would be informing the ref sec I'm not willing to line for you again.

upload_2015-7-23_22-32-36.jpeg

You have stated that you don't see why an act on a referee should be treated any differently from a player.
You then say you would send off a player fro a 2 handed push to your chest (something most would consider a caution 95% of the time).
You also state a 3 match ban for punching a ref is insufficent, put that is all a player punch will get most of the time.

In fairness if you think the below wasn't a red card, we fundamentally disagree on what's acceptable conduct toward a referee. If you allowed any of this to happen to me as an AR, I'd have lost all respect for you and would be informing the ref sec I'm not willing to line for you again.

View attachment 623
I guess it all depends on personal opinions.

I personally don't see this as violent conduct, I think it falls under the "Unsporting Behaviour" bracket with AAA (which I now know isn't in the LOTG but originates from the FA as a way of categorising unsporting behaviour), along with the joe hart incident.

What I meant by special treatment in this case was, something that I don't see as a red card on a player, shouldn't become a red card just because it was on a match official. I wouldn't send a player off for this on another player and neither would I send him off for this on a match official.

As for the pushing I see it as a different scenario because strong physical contact (I.e. Tackling, holding, pushing etc.) between players is expected within the game, strong physical contact isn't expected/accepted towards the match officials therefore the tolerance levels between the two do inevitably vary.

Again IMO pushing crosses the line into violent conduct, this incident in question doesn't.

Thanks for pointing that out, I genuinely thought it was in the interpretation section under unsporting behaviour :p:rolleyes:

I do still disagree though, I think that this isn't a case of violent conduct because IMO there was no violence in it. I see what you mean with the aggression and contact thing but I wouldn't be sending a player off if he did this to another player so I don't see why I should give myself or my assistant any special treatment for something like this.
There is a sub category for C1 which is AA but it didn't used to be required for grassroots (although WGS seems to want it every time now). A forceful push on a match official is a dismissal. On reflection I don't feel there is enough in that video to warrant a dismissal.

View attachment 623
I've spoken to Michael about the Joe Hart incident and he actually says the angle is terrible and he partially turned his head into Joe Hart which is why it looks so bad. He was quite open at an RA-FA event I attended when he said he did himself and other referees no favours with that incident.

I've spoken to Michael about the Joe Hart incident and he actually says the angle is terrible and he partially turned his head into Joe Hart which is why it looks so bad. He was quite open at an RA-FA event I attended when he said he did himself and other referees no favours with that incident.
Did Michael think in hind sight he should've given a card?

Back