A&H

Cautions in youth football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willpage06

I will be refereeing my first youth game next weekend. Obviously you learn what warrants a red and yellow card in the course but after playing 11 a side for nearly 5 seasons (in youth football), I have only ever seen two yellow cards be awarded and no reds in my games. Should I be more lenient with fouls and not caution players or should it be like a adults match? Also does the caution involve a fine for the player?
*I will be refereeing u 11,12 and 13 games

The Referee Store
Let’s clear the last point first as it’s factual, not opinion based. Fines are applied to clubs at these age groups, not the players as they’re minors.

As for leniency, strictness and so forth, it’s ultimately a judgement call.

At these age groups the majority of fouls are going to be due to a lack of skill and coordination. You may find the odd bit of sinister intent, petulance or rage and those are the ones to watch for and deal with.

Used the stepped approach - a sterner word will often suffice.

Also bear in mind the role of a referee ad an educator in youth football... As said above, the bulk of fouls will come from lack of skill or coordination, but also a lack of knowledge.

Clear warnings, use the coaches and talk to players. Stern words will probably have more of an impact than flashing a yellow!

I gave a straight red, DOGSO, in a u14 match as the defender simply dove and tackled the forward from behind, grappling their hands at the feet.

I apply the LOTG as written, understanding the nuances of age, skill, etc.

Sometimes, you just have to do it (cards).

I remember having a U10 match and a defender kept sticking their leg out,trying to trip opponents. This went on for a while. The trip failed, the forward hopping over the extended leg.

It was the continued attempt to trip that finally got me to whistle and deal with it...a warning. I informed the coach. Guess the kid thought that a failed attempt isnt a foul. I eventually carded after a couple more whistles. Persistant and unsporting...nip it now.

Players will push bounaries. A good rer and educate, and if needed, finish the lesson.

I am really surprised that this question is asked once every couple of weeks. Must be an English thing.
Where I am age is not a consideration on if a card should be given. There are less of them in younger age groups because they are committed less.

Also, as referees, why do we need to know if players or clubs are fined? We are not there to manipulate laws/rules. We are there to apply them.

But I can understand where OP is coming from. You don't want to be the only person to apply this without considering age.

Apply common sense. If the game doesn’t need a card then don’t use it, because that will only annoy everyone. Players and coaches will appreciate it more if you speak to players and manage situations. In youth football especially these kids are paying to play football, nobody wants to see cards so try and refrain if you can. I understand some situations you will be left with no choice but to produce a card, but when you do then try and avoid it. Remember that the professional game is very very different to grassroots.

The good book tells you what modifications can be made for varying levels of the game

The size of the pitch, the duration, the match ball etc

it makes no reference to modifying law 12

or indeed law 11, is offside at under 14s?

maybe ball in and out of play is different at u14 to pub league

as referee you are entrusted to apply the laws of the game to the best of your ability, not, to the best of your own interpretation

Last edited:
Apply common sense. If the game doesn’t need a card then don’t use it, because that will only annoy everyone. Players and coaches will appreciate it more if you speak to players and manage situations. In youth football especially these kids are paying to play football, nobody wants to see cards so try and refrain if you can. I understand some situations you will be left with no choice but to produce a card, but when you do then try and avoid it. Remember that the professional game is very very different to grassroots.
Very true. Its not that we dont card at lower age groups. Its just usually not necessary for game control and flow.

Whistles are sufficient as well as warnings. Its just that odd player that feels a need to earn it.

It is important that people do issue RCs and YCs when they are necessary. Education is about learning about the game, but also learning that actions have consequences. As mentioned above, skill levels and coordination may be an issue, but the laws still need to be applied to ensure fair play and that our youngsters have a chance to learn what to expect later on in life.

Then as a ref in your next game, you get the "Why cant I wear my earrings under tape? Why can't I jump at my opponent with my knees in the air like a keeper to protect myself? I can't call you that?"

We help each other when we call it when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back