A&H

Cautions in youth football part 2

Taity78

Hello all, yesterday I issued my first youth red card, let me set the scene - away team attacking on the right flank, #9 miscontrolled the ball and the defending team shielded the ball out of play whilst #9 made an attempt to get the ball back he didn’t get it so I gave the throw in, the #9 took offence that he didn’t get the throw in and the defender laugh, #9 then grabbed him and pushed him over (booking 1), I was then blowing my whistle and running over to be met with then #9 running at me saying “f@ck off it’s my ball”, then when I said it was a throw in he said “f@ck you ref” ( booking two) - this is under 17’s, I call him over and explained what had happened and then proceeded to show each yellow card followed by the red. This was in the 30th minute and from that point on I gave every single foul until half time, I was hoping this would show all involved that I was in control. Obviously you question every decision whilst keeping focused , I then had a word with the coach during half time explaining what had happened .. I guess as it was my first red I wanted to do everything by the book - ultimately I’ve figured out is that you don’t make friends dressed in black but you do feel vulnerable

The Referee Store
There will be some on here - including me - who would be using a red card for repeated and directed language of that nature to a match official, not a second yellow.
It was sensible to advise the coach what had happened (unless he had already seen and heard the actions and words in question) although again some will advise the approach of responding to the coach with "It will all be in my report" if they ask you.

Hello all, yesterday I issued my first youth red card, let me set the scene - away team attacking on the right flank, #9 miscontrolled the ball and the defending team shielded the ball out of play whilst #9 made an attempt to get the ball back he didn’t get it so I gave the throw in, the #9 took offence that he didn’t get the throw in and the defender laugh, #9 then grabbed him and pushed him over (booking 1), I was then blowing my whistle and running over to be met with then #9 running at me saying “f@ck off it’s my ball”, then when I said it was a throw in he said “f@ck you ref” ( booking two) - this is under 17’s, I call him over and explained what had happened and then proceeded to show each yellow card followed by the red. This was in the 30th minute and from that point on I gave every single foul until half time, I was hoping this would show all involved that I was in control. Obviously you question every decision whilst keeping focused , I then had a word with the coach during half time explaining what had happened .. I guess as it was my first red I wanted to do everything by the book - ultimately I’ve figured out is that you don’t make friends dressed in black but you do feel vulnerable
Would the second one not be dissent and so no sending off?

This is either a dissent caution, in which case a temporary dismissal or a straight red card offence.

For me it reads as dissent.

So I did question myself with the sin bin option, however believed Foul and abusive directed at me - the f@ck you ref part.. so this is my question in my head which would have been the right action - the two yellows or yellow then sin bin or possible straight red? Replaying the situation I believe I made the right call but wanted others opinion's

So I did question myself with the sin bin option, however believed Foul and abusive directed at me - the f@ck you ref part.. so this is my question in my head which would have been the right action - the two yellows or yellow then sin bin or possible straight red? Replaying the situation I believe I made the right call but wanted others opinion's
“Foul and abusive” isn’t a yellow card. Technically it’s not a red card either, but “offensive, insulting or abusive language” is

If you’re not showing him a straight red for the second offence, then yeh it’s probably a C2 for dissent, which obviously is a sin bin.

What did you report the second yellow card as by the way. Only one I can see is USB (Adopting an Aggressive Attitude)

That’s correct I put it through as USB, and AA was code - so in the future the Sin bin option was probably the best way to go?

That’s correct I put it through as USB, and AA was code - so in the future the Sin bin option was probably the best way to go?
Personally I think the best way is OFFINABUS.

I'm not aware of any reason why you cannot go yellow, followed by straight red provided everyone knows what each is for.

Last edited:
Good chance am going straight red here, am there to officiate a sporting event, not be told to feck off by a 16yo.
Spur of momenr or not, am not there to be sworn at.

Just saw the snooker spat, if O Sullivan had said " feck off ref" he be disqualified from the event, thus losing the final, probably be fined £100,000 and told a repeat would mean a lifetime ban.

So what do we do in football when a 16 yo tells us to feck off? Send them to the naughty step for ten mins. Mad. Weak weak refereeing.

Last edited:
AA for first offence yes. A player telling you to F off is never a yellow and is not dissent more so in junior football

Well I thought the F off was not directly aimed at me but the f you ref is direct meaning action is required
As you have come here to seek advice, the next time you have this scenario, just ask yourself if you found the action or language offensive, insulting or abusive, irrelevant of whom it was aimed at. If you do, it’s a red. Try not to think it’s only a red if aimed at you.

Last edited:
On a side note, this seems to happen fairly often. Other week I was watching my brothers U13 team play away and it was a feisty game. Someone on the opposition team lost it over a foul being given against him and began screaming at the ref.

“Go **** yourself referee, that was never a ****ing foul are you ****ing blind.”

Guess which card was shown? The “old school” referee called him over in a booming voice and said “for foul and abusive language, I’m showing you a yellow card”

Opposition manager was complaining because he felt like the player should have been warned or been allowed to be subbed off. I say to my Dad that it should have been a red, but my brothers team parents agreed with the ref.

“Foul and abusive language can’t be tolerated, ref has dealt with it well without ruining kids game”
“Surely a red for language at this age is harsh”
were amongst the comments received. One parent asked me, in almost incredulous shock
“Would you red card for that”

When I answered yes, she laughed and said “oh I’ll have to tell Little Timmy that he needs to keep his mouth shut if you’re reffing the next home game”

Who knows why Little Timmy would’ve previously thought it ok to repeatedly swear, tell someone to go **** themselves and accuse them of being blind but there you go.

Last edited:
Who knows why Little Timmy would’ve previously thought it ok to repeatedly swear, tell someone to go **** themselves and accuse them of being blind but there you go.

Because, quote “it’s ok Timmy you’ve done nothing wrong. Just keep going”

End quote.

Ok this was in relation to flying into challenges and trying (and failing) to wipe opponents out but at U11 the tone was being set!

I think most of us agree, we wouldn’t take abuse in the street so why would we on a pitch!! Especially in youth football - whilst players are learning we want positive encouragement not negative

Back