A&H

Cautioning Player who isn't there....

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Odd one this afternoon, U18ladies match, White v Red.

About 10 minutes into second half, with a throw in on the far side to all the speccys and coaches I take my position.

Something catches my eye and I glance over to the far touch line and see red 16 put a coat on, and get in a car (car park is right next to the pitch).

During next passage of play I keep an eye on the car to see it drive off with her in it.

Play unfolds and ball goes out for goal kick.

I stop the restart, quickly count the players, sure enough, 10. (Neither team had any subs - made life easy :D).

Head over to the red manager and ask where 16 has gone "oh we knew she'd have to go about now, she has to be somewhere."

I said ok, but told him she didn't have my permission to leave the FOP, so was going to be cautioned. I asked the name and he gave it, but he wasn't happy - I'd already bollocked him for swapping the keeper at half time and been accused of being over efficious for daring to insist a couple of free kicks/throw ins were taken from the correct place.

Anyway, I completed the caution and showed the yellow card, despite the player not being there and having no knowledge of it. I told the coach he could tell the player. Speccys looked bemused to say the least.

I continued to make friends with the away team, cautioning the captain and another defender for very childish dissent and had to stop one kick off after red conceded to tell the red manager while he may disagree with the lack of offside he needed to shut up and not shout across the pitch.

Knob head came across afterwards and asked me not to submit the yellows as 'nobody but me knew what they were for', so he's now also wasn't himself a misconduct report.

Any thoughts?

The Referee Store
Wouldn't have shown the card to the player who wasn't there. Did you restart the game before seeing the changed goalkeeper. If yes, did you caution the players involved for the swapping of a goalkeeper without telling the referee? Misconduct report definitely.

Well done for spotting a player had scarpered.

This goalkeeper talk reminds me of the two times I've cautioned players for swapping goalies without me noticing.

The first was during a U15 girls match in recreation leagues (ones without standings essentially). During the course of play, out of the corner of my eye I see the keeper changing while plays on the other end of the field... Once play stops I caution both players who were surprised, needless to say.

The second one came in a U19 girls match, again rec league. It was during play near the opposing half of the field. Same thing happens... and same reaction to the cautions... You would think by U19 they understand I need to know... and to not sub during LIVE PLAY :eek:

There was an amusing moment - gave a caution for dissent to red captain after one goal which they swore blind was offside (it wasn't, I looked well ahead of the ball to be played and saw the white player steaming in for the header).

Anyway on the way back to the centre circle she's giving it mouth, shouting 'he said he'd do offsides, and he can't even manage that'. So I call her over to collect her prize and give her a strong lecture about how as the captain she should be setting the example and that her comments were absolutely not welcome.

She says 'don't lecture me, you're not my dad'.

As the yellow card was raised I said 'maybe not, but that will cost you your pocket money'.

Made me smile anyway. :D

There was an amusing moment - gave a caution for dissent to red captain after one goal which they swore blind was offside (it wasn't, I looked well ahead of the ball to be played and saw the white player steaming in for the header).

Anyway on the way back to the centre circle she's giving it mouth, shouting 'he said he'd do offsides, and he can't even manage that'. So I call her over to collect her prize and give her a strong lecture about how as the captain she should be setting the example and that her comments were absolutely not welcome.

She says 'don't lecture me, you're not my dad'.

As the yellow card was raised I said 'maybe not, but that will cost you your pocket money'.

Made me smile anyway. :D

At risk of going off topic, I either lecture or card. I do not do both.
I've had to politely request a police officer keep his lecture to himself whilst issuing me a speeding ticket in April.
I am an adult, I have broken rules, I have been caught, this will cost me HUNDREDS in fines and insurance premiums, your lecture is doing nothing but wasting both our times and I'll prob break the speed limit again on the way home!

Back