A&H

Cautioning keeper after penalty save

Macca

This weekend, keeper saved penalty and acted "in a provocative way" towards penalty taker after making the save. Not OFFINABUS though. Keeper laughed loud and sarcastically at the penalty taker and it was certainly inflammatory.
In this case it was not particularly over the top so I let it go with a passing warning, but made me think - what, if any offense, could there be?
Maybe USB with showing a lack of respect for the game? If so, an IFK from edge of goal area?

The Referee Store
Yes if the ball still in play and the keeper was in goal area when he did it.

But for me and in practice it would have to be a pretty bad case of USB to give a FK from that position.

The reverse of this is more common though when a goal is scored the the scorer antagonises the keeper.

This weekend, keeper saved penalty and acted "in a provocative way" towards penalty taker after making the save. Not OFFINABUS though. Keeper laughed loud and sarcastically at the penalty taker and it was certainly inflammatory.
In this case it was not particularly over the top so I let it go with a passing warning, but made me think - what, if any offense, could there be?
Maybe USB with showing a lack of respect for the game? If so, an IFK from edge of goal area?
Verbal offences are punishable by idfk.
But where was the ball when this happened? If its gone out of play then the restart is according to the ball out of play.
Would have to be aggressive attitude, if done aggressively or Unspecified unsporting behaviour (c1 UB if in England).

Yeah I've booked for AAA before when a goalscorer went to celebrate in the face of a defender he'd beaten to score the goal - easy sell when the celebration leads to an aggressive response and a bunch of other players piling in.

James is spot-on in terms of the restart - IFK if the ball was still in play, whatever the appropriate restart was if it's not.

Caution, definitely.

It's not sporting behaviour tbh. Rare that it happens, but it's nice to see a referee punish it when it does.

I don't think it has to be excessive either - I recommend taking action, because small things can escalate. In my younger days I had to abandon a match over this, because the keeper saved it, mocked the taker and we ended up with a 22 man melee.

Back