A&H

Cautionable Offenses

NOVARef

Why are the 4th and 5th bullet points not listed as cautionable offenses for a substitute or substituted player? Thanks in advance

Cautionable offences​

A player is cautioned if guilty of:
  • delaying the restart of play
  • dissent by word or action
  • entering, re-entering or deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission
  • failing to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a dropped ball, corner kick, free kick or throw-in
  • persistent offences (no specific number or pattern of offences constitutes 'persistent')
  • unsporting behaviour
  • entering the referee review area (RRA)
  • excessively using the ‘review’ (TV screen) signal
A substitute or substituted player is cautioned if guilty of:
  • entering or re-entering the field of play without the referee’s permission
  • unsporting behaviour

The Referee Store
Why are the 4th and 5th bullet points not listed as cautionable offenses for a substitute or substituted player? Thanks in advance

Cautionable offences​

A player is cautioned if guilty of:
  • entering, re-entering or deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission
  • failing to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a dropped ball, corner kick, free kick or throw-in
  • persistent offences (no specific number or pattern of offences constitutes 'persistent')
  • unsporting behaviour
A substitute or substituted player is cautioned if guilty of:
  • entering or re-entering the field of play without the referee’s permission
  • unsporting behaviour
Because those are offences committed on the field of play, and the substitutes/ players who have been substituted are not on the field of play.

Because those are offences committed on the field of play, and the substitutes/ players who have been substituted are not on the field of play.
Geezuz. Of course. I'm embarrassed.. : ) But I was thinking that a substitute is someone on the bench and a substituted player was someone that was subbed on and is now on the field playing. But I just needed to think harder on that one. My bad. Thanks.

If you repeatedly have to warn a substitute could that come under persistent offences? Although a warning for an substitute wouldn't ordinarily constitute an offence.

A coach has their own yellow for persistent "persistent unacceptable behaviour (including repeated warning offences)"

Persistent offences doesn't quite have the same ring to it as persistent infringement. Has this been updated on the FAs caution codes?

Back