A&H

Junior/Youth Caution advice ???

Callum Aris

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,
Had an U12 match on Sunday, nothing really major in the match (12-0) victory to the blues against red. Until the 55th minute out of 70. Red attacker and blue defender start to exchange a few petty words such as, "you should go to school" (whatever kind of insult that is) and "sorry what's the score 12-0" and "at least we don't play dirty" etc....... but just these two players. I pull them over to one side and tell them any more from either of you it will be a yellow as I'm sick and tired of petty arguing. Then parents don't make it any better by claiming one said to the other ill knock your head off if you come near me, which was clearly made up as I heard everything and both admitted nothing like that was said. Anyway 10 minutes later they are still under my radar but blue is starting to get angry and ****y, then whilst red is running with the ball blue pushes/leans into the back of red (stays up) then pulls his shirt in middle of pitch. I say enough is enough and show the yellow, no arguments from either side:
Q1- Should I have shown a yellow sooner?
Q2- Could I have dealt with it better?
Q3- What FA code of C1 does it come under?
- because the yellow was mainly for the constant petty arguing and attitude and the tackle was the last straw so that's why I show the yellow, but what do I submit the card under, push or the behaviour?

The Referee Store
Sounds like you did your best to 'manage' the situation but then rightly cautioned when the player didn't mend his ways. Maybe worth ensuring that any conversation you have with the players is well away from any parental "input". From how you describe the incident I'd be tempted to see it as a form of Persistent Infringement (C3) but if you go with C1 then go with the push rather than the behaviour.

Well done for following through and booking him .. hopefully lesson learnt for the future by him!

Sounds like you handled it well. Players were being antagonistic, IMO they hadn't really crossed the line with those comments but especially at this level you don't want to tolerate it. Warning sounds like the right approach.
A player who had already been warned, is starting to get heated then it sounds like he's committed 2 consecutive deliberate fouls. Sounds like a caution was probably appropriate.
You mentioned he was getting angry and mouthy - was there anything you could have drawn attention to sooner, given he was already on a warning? Even just an 'on the fly' warning (normally you don't want to give warnings to players already on a warning though)

Sounds like you did your best to 'manage' the situation but then rightly cautioned when the player didn't mend his ways. Maybe worth ensuring that any conversation you have with the players is well away from any parental "input"

Well the exchange of words was near enough in the middle of the pitch and that's where I spoke to them, so I think the parent just went for a random claim to see what she could get out of it.

You mentioned he was getting angry and mouthy - was there anything you could have drawn attention to sooner, given he was already on a warning? Even just an 'on the fly' warning (normally you don't want to give warnings to players already on a warning though)

Yeah was getting a bit arrogant and angry but to himself but not really enough to warrant a yellow IMO but another referee might of done.

Sounds like you handled it well. Players were being antagonistic, IMO they hadn't really crossed the line with those comments but especially at this level you don't want to tolerate it. Warning sounds like the right approach.)

Yeah like you said they didn't cross the line, but it was just consistent petty behaviour that was annoying and was stupid.

Thanks

There at that age now where there testerone is up there so looks like one player put his bags away and other did not listen

Back