A&H

Cards not allowed

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
I was refereeing at Colchester Academy today and I showed a YC for something really stupid. At HT, an club official from Colchester said that cards aren't meant to be used in their games until the reach U15 level. Instead, he tells me to let the coach know and they will take him off for 10-15 mins.

Personally, I think this a bloody stupid. How are these kids meant to learn if they aren't being punished for their actions. They als don't get suspended for a RC.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

The Referee Store
Well, the rules are stupid. They will learn better from missing games rather than a slap on the wrist

What age did you caution?

You either conform or they won't ask you again I'm afraid.

It's classed as non competitive. They want to coach and teach the players playing football.

U14. I understand that completely, just don't agree with the methods. They will be seeing me a bit through the Referee Academy.

I've had this before, I too don't see the point, now I'm at an academy that uses cards but doesn't report them, they are used as a method of communication as they should be, it works perfectly IMO.

And this is why the professional game is in the state it is in with regard to attitude towards referees.....

Because the players are taught that cards don't really matter and that referees are tolerated as a necessary evil rather than welcomed as a vital part of the game......

And the reason I refused to do Academy games.

I'd beg to differ. The attitude at these are much better than your youth leagues.

Parents won't say boo to a goose. Coaches are very responsive and will act if the referee thinks a player has been disrespectful.

I'd beg to differ. The attitude at these are much better than your youth leagues.

Parents won't say boo to a goose. Coaches are very responsive and will act if the referee thinks a player has been disrespectful.

They also don't get suspended. So, if a player gives another player a smack on the nose, they won't be banned. That is wrong IMO

They also don't get suspended. So, if a player gives another player a smack on the nose, they won't be banned. That is wrong IMO
I believe that to be incorrect. While the cautions aren't submitted if they are handed out, I believe the academies have their own in house rules. They record cautions for their players and if they get so many they are banned - or so I have been told. No doubt if they lashed out at an opposition player and did hit them on their nose, their position at the academy would be highly questioned by the coaching staff.

How likely is that though?

The club will deal with the player. Maybe they won't get an official ban, because it isn't an 'official' game. But the club won't let the player think its acceptable, and the fear of being released from the club is pretty big.

How likely is that though?

The club will deal with the player. Maybe they won't get an official ban, because it isn't an 'official' game. But the club won't let the player think its acceptable, and the fear of being released from the club is pretty big.

I don't think they would be released or anything too strong to be honest. I can just imagine the conversation at my local football league academy "You know ****** that Chelsea came and looked at last week?" "Oh yea, I know the kid, could go onto big things" "Well we've released him/suspended him for a month because he lashed out at a player last week"

Last academy game I did the manager seemed happy for me to use cards for anything like SFP or VC, but made it clear he would have somebody subbed straight off the pitch if I wanted it. Worked well in that game. They were better behaved than every other game I have done in the last 12 months. Probably down to the fact they need to impress at that age and that means getting on with playing football and not spending half the game arguing with me or the other team.

Some EPL academies (SOuth east England / London for example) up to U16 use a blue card. The ref can decide if this is to be a warning / caution or of they request that the player be sinbinned for 10 minutes,or off (they play 4 x 20, or 2 x 40 and U15+).

as they are non competative so there is nothing to gain / lose etc. It; just that one game, there and then. Scores not kept, not tables, leagues etc so cautuon / sin bin / off, your choice.

As above, their rules, if you want to be invited back to the EPL academies, see the big boys, go throuh the hallowed gates ya de ya then tow their line.

16+, refer to LOAF.

Back