A&H

Carabao Cup Final 2021

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
Starting this thread in play.

Some debate over cautions/non cautions for Reguilon, Laporte and Diaz. Thought Laporte should have gone in for a tactical foul on Moura, but that’s purely opinion.

At the time of cautioning the Spurs player, Paul Tierney did hold up 2 fingers, presumably saying that’s the second foul by him, hence the caution.

Time will tell if that’s the way he’s running it. Leniency/discretion for a cup final. Damned either way I guess.

The Referee Store
What does Man City have to do to get a caution?
At time of writing, both City centre backs have given fouls away, as deemed by the ref, that are clear cautionable offences but none given.
That was the arguments the players had with the ref and I think what Mason and Pep were discussing with the 4th.

It's a standard Man City and Pep tactic they make a tactical foul whenever teams counter attack them.
Didn't work as well at Barca as they'd be quickly cautionee, EPL refs seem to want to 'manage the game' so every players gets a freebie tactical foul until the 35th minute

Just thought same thing. I normally hate it when commentators focus on referees and question their mentality but I sadly think Tierney is bottling it so far.
All the Spurs bookings have been right, but he’s only booking them. He’s finally booked Laporte, but he had to do tbh.
City always seem to be good at avoiding bookings, their very smart at doing fouls in the right place. But there’s a lot of City fouls going unnoticed and even those that are don’t seem to be receiving bookings. Hopefully Tierney has a better second half

I think he has fallen into the trap that many referees do on cup finals, in that he doesn't want to make it all about himself with cautioning too early. Unfortunately that is exactly what has happened and everyone is talking about him. Although I don't buy the argument that Laporte should be off, as had he been cautioned for the first one someone else would have taken out Moura for the second.

Think Tierney has reffed this very, very poorly. A very tentative, uncertain performance.

His failure to caution Reguillon for a similar challenge meant he couldn’t caution Laporte (though there’s no way Laporte would be off as he wouldn’t have made that second challenge on a yellow). The Dias challenge wasn’t a foul for me, but once he’d given it I can’t understand not cautioning.

Reguilon should have had two yellows early. Everything follows from that.

Some "fan" stuff here. I'll join in - what about all the Spurs kicks from behind on opponents?

Just thought same thing. I normally hate it when commentators focus on referees and question their mentality but I sadly think Tierney is bottling it so far.
All the Spurs bookings have been right, but he’s only booking them. He’s finally booked Laporte, but he had to do tbh.
City always seem to be good at avoiding bookings, their very smart at doing fouls in the right place. But there’s a lot of City fouls going unnoticed and even those that are don’t seem to be receiving bookings. Hopefully Tierney has a better second half
All the Spurs bookings? What bookings?

All the Spurs bookings? What bookings?

Don't be dragging this into another fan discussion or there will be consequences. You know full well that Reguillon got the first caution, and correctly as his tackle wasn't just late, it was in a different time zone. Laporte and Diaz dodged bullets as they should have both been cautioned, but I still think it can't be said it was a missed red card as there is no way Laporte would have made that challenge had he been cautioned for the first one. Moura would still have been fouled, but a different City player would have committed it.

You mean it isn't already a fan discussion? "It's a standard Man City and Pep tactic they make a tactical foul whenever teams counter attack them..." Only City? What about Reguilon escaping a caution for his early SPA? For the first Laporte foul, Mr Tierney - surrounded by Spurs players demanding a caution - was actually pointing to where he'd not cautioned Reguilon for his first.

But, "All the Spurs bookings have been right, but he’s only booking them" - I repeat, all what bookings?

Starting this thread in play.

Some debate over cautions/non cautions for Reguilon, Laporte and Diaz. Thought Laporte should have gone in for a tactical foul on Moura, but that’s purely opinion.

At the time of cautioning the Spurs player, Paul Tierney did hold up 2 fingers, presumably saying that’s the second foul by him, hence the caution.

Time will tell if that’s the way he’s running it. Leniency/discretion for a cup final. Damned either way I guess.
Back on topic...
Couldn't agree more.

The first Laporte was a poor decision by Tierney not to caution. Perhaps not an error in law as it was own half and with perhaps 4 defenders and only one or two attackers ahead with no obvious out ball - but - football expects and it smelled like a yellow. It also seemed to tick a big "blatant holding" box.

There was a period from around 28-33 min where unfortunately Tierney lost the game. There were strange looks from the players. Seems like he doesn't quite have their respect. Shame, as I thought he had improved this season.

The two finger signal was confusing - would be very interesting to see if the caution was for persistent infringement rather than SPA or reckless. It felt like borderline all three. But sadly it did not present well.

It was a relatively easy game in the end. On the plus side the hardest decision was perhaps when Kane "dived" in midfield after a City player had slid in and nicked the ball. Replay seemed to show contact to Kane's ankle before contact with the ball. So, it was a fine decision. Unfortunately, the camera then went to the bench and it looked like Mason and Pep were agreeing that it was a terrible decision to give Spurs the foul!

Laporte yellow could've been seen as a clean tackle or as a SPA yellow imo. I'm a city fan but id be happy with either decision there. Once he's given the foul he has to give the yellow. There is an argument to say he's won the ball cleanly but there's also one to say it was a foul.

But the idea that if he was already on a yellow he'd go in for that tackle is seriously flawed. He just wouldn't have done it knowing he was on a yellow. Tactical fouling and players taking it in turns to foul players has been going on for a very long time. Its noticed with the big teams more because opposition teams sit back and counter as opposed to leaving players higher up the pitch. So alot of fouls are SPA these days because most attacks are counters from deep against City, Utd etc. City might make 12 fouls in a game against lesser opposition but get 3/4 yellows as they were all fouls to stop counter attacks. Mctominay, Casimeiro, Matic, Jorginho etc are masters at it. The idea its just City is nonsense, it's a coached tactic and it's a very old one.

Isn't it ridiculous that we've had a cup final with almost no real controversy really apart from one potential missed yellow and suddenly it's all about the ref in the post match analysis & media. How have we got to a place where the referee is more talked about than the players in a game where, although understandably tentative in his first cup final, the referee has hardly had a decision to make? No wonder refs have a tough time at any level. Weve made the game all about them in the media now. Spanish journalists were outside the referees hotel room yesterday before the game. Where/when s it going to stop?

Isn't it ridiculous that we've had a cup final with almost no real controversy really apart from one potential missed yellow and suddenly it's all about the ref in the post match analysis & media. How have we got to a place where the referee is more talked about than the players in a game where, although understandably tentative in his first cup final, the referee has hardly had a decision to make? No wonder refs have a tough time at any level. Weve made the game all about them in the media now. Spanish journalists were outside the referees hotel room yesterday before the game. Where/when s it going to stop?
I think it's because the referee didn't perform as well as expected. He lost the game a bit after half an hour and, because the game was so dull, it was the main feature of the first half. I don't think the response is all that dramatic in this case. Personally I expected better in a showpiece final, so I understand the criticism.

If he'd not booked Reguilon for his first obvious SPA but had booked Laporte for his first obvious SPA he would have performed as well as expected?

Don't be dragging this into another fan discussion or there will be consequences. You know full well that Reguillon got the first caution, and correctly as his tackle wasn't just late, it was in a different time zone. Laporte and Diaz dodged bullets as they should have both been cautioned, but I still think it can't be said it was a missed red card as there is no way Laporte would have made that challenge had he been cautioned for the first one. Moura would still have been fouled, but a different City player would have committed it.
I think there’s a debate to be had around the ‘professional fouls’ committed by the top sides as The taking one for the team thing really only benefits a handfull of sides across a season. The likes of City/Liverpool/Chelsea are going to turn up to the majority of their games and dominate possession, and almost have that as a back up in case they get hit on the counter by the bottom sides who really only have the counter attack to get up the FOP.

I think there’s a debate to be had around the ‘professional fouls’ committed by the top sides as The taking one for the team thing really only benefits a handfull of sides across a season. The likes of City/Liverpool/Chelsea are going to turn up to the majority of their games and dominate possession, and almost have that as a back up in case they get hit on the counter by the bottom sides who really only have the counter attack to get up the FOP.
Makes up for the routine clogging (from some teams). Seriously, tot up the fouls not given because of playing "advantage" when really it's just keeping possession, and an occasional SPA doesn't seem too unfair.

Back