A&H

Car share etiquette

dylanbailey4444

Level 5 Referee
When you car share to a game, what’s the rule of thumb money wise ?
I have heard different things from different referees and there doesn’t seem to be a set way of doing it.
I have heard that some offer up £5, and in some areas, nothing.

I’m car sharing for a game soon, and not something I’ve done very often before.

A&H International
I have heard different things from different referees and there doesn’t seem to be a set way of doing it.

If they’re being paid expenses then I wouldn’t expect to pay them anything

Knowing you, feel for any ref that has to get in the car with you.

£60 penalty. :)

If you stop for a coffee then get the coffees.

I have never asked for, taken, or offered money when joint travelling even when on flat fee. (This is different if going to CPD event).

Try and work it so the deviation from the route is minimal. If the referee is going miles out of their way then I could change my stance, but then I'd question the value in joint travel

I think 'flat fee' is usually stated as 'fee inclusive of expenses' in league rules so the driver is still being paid expenses. Your unused 'expenses' are basically a bonus. I'd agree with @JamesL that if a natural opportunity to return the favour arises then offer to buy a coffee or similar, otherwise don't worry, and anything you can do to reduce how much the driver goes out of their way can be appreciated.

This really is a case of favours evening out in the long run. And if they don't, the most benefit goes to the person who is most suited.

Though doesn't happen as much now as I have stopped refereeing "non-local" games, I always offer a lift to referees who took public transport otherwise. Similar was offered to my son when he refereed and he didn't have a car.

Another good thing we practiced back in the day when it was cash payment at the end of the game, whenever there was extra money on offer (teams not having exact change or just being very happy with the service they got 😄), that extra money always went to the most junior team member who was usually a student.

I'm gonna be controversial here. For me, if all 3 officials are paid a flat fee, if you're car sharing and it's the referee driving, then you don't need to do anything (it's not a bad thing for a ref to help his ARs get to the game and he's being paid more. If it's an AR driving and you're the referee, parhaps offer them some petrol money.

I wouldn't take it. I drove 3 other lads to the CORE camp at the weekend and they offered me some money, I didn't take it.

I'm gonna be controversial here. For me, if all 3 officials are paid a flat fee, if you're car sharing and it's the referee driving, then you don't need to do anything (it's not a bad thing for a ref to help his ARs get to the game and he's being paid more. If it's an AR driving and you're the referee, parhaps offer them some petrol money.

I wouldn't take it. I drove 3 other lads to the CORE camp at the weekend and they offered me some money, I didn't take it.
With this one, it’s the other AR, who’s taking me (I’m also an AR). He lives in the village over, so offered.

My stance is, that I would be going to the ground anyway, so as long as the other official isn't miles out of the way, I will happily offer the joint travel. Had it last week where I drove the referee to our friendly, get on with him really well so happily drove us both down.

Like others have said I think it's just down to evening it out and owing a favour for next time.

Back