A&H

Can Players Wear Headgear? I.e. In This Example, "Do Rags" [SP]

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
Never seen anyone wearing one before… That being said, I've never seen any player wearing any head gear except alice bands.

But on the pitch next to my game on Saturday was a game that had a lad wearing a full on “Do Rag” [SP]

Flapping everywhere, looked ridiculously dangerous as anyone attempting for a grab of shirt that accidentally grabbed that, would have yanked him to the floor by his neck.

I personally wouldn’t have let him play, as its health and safety in my book – same logic id apply when I tell people to take chains, bracelets etc off.

“Anything that can be caught on someone else”

I mentioned me being able to wear the “FA” thinsulate style hat I got given in a game in another thread… But what about players?

I know Peter Cech wore/wears headgear, but thats a medical reason... Right.

The Referee Store
What a "do rag" is I have no idea! But in terms of headgear I will only allow medically issued headgear that is safe or goalkeepers to wear caps if it is extremely sunny..

Other than that I see no need for it.

Aha. If that's the case then yes very stupid to wear and unbelievable that the ref allowed him. Could easily result in strangulation or snapped neck

What a "do rag" is I have no idea! But in terms of headgear I will only allow medically issued headgear that is safe or goalkeepers to wear caps if it is extremely sunny..

Other than that I see no need for it.

The laws were changed in the summer you can't stop players wearing head coverings unless there is a safety issue. In the case of the do-rag there is a clear safety issue.

Crikey come on people.
Do rags snapping necks? Give over.
"It's health and safety" - Ah, the old H&S cop out. If it's health and safety no doubt the H&SE have published some legislation specifically for do rags on football pitches. Link please.

I think a bit of common sense would help you realise that a do rag isn't safe to wear on the FOP, long dangling material behind, player grabs hold of that their could be a pretty serious injury

Here in Ontario, Canada, there's a specific directive that states "no bandanas".

Makes our lives (as refs) far easier when there's a definitive policy that is communicated to both the referees and clubs.

Crikey come on people.
Do rags snapping necks? Give over.
"It's health and safety" - Ah, the old H&S cop out. If it's health and safety no doubt the H&SE have published some legislation specifically for do rags on football pitches. Link please.
You're joking surely?

Player grabs it, slips down to neck and player gets pulled down by neck?

Health and safety gone mad is one thing. This is common sense. Of course its dangerous!

I think a bit of common sense would help you realise that a do rag isn't safe to wear on the FOP, long dangling material behind, player grabs hold of that their could be a pretty serious injury
Hair extensions? Rastafarian? Dreadlocks? Ponytails? Hijabs? Turbans?
It's not the wearer(?) or the item that is the danger, it's the player who does the grabbing.
I think you're right about common sense, though.

Simple answer, get him to took the "dangly bits" underneath it (sort of folded over). And with the change to the LOTG, it must be the same colour as the shirt or black, nothing else.

Hair extensions? Rastafarian? Dreadlocks? Ponytails? Hijabs? Turbans?
It's not the wearer(?) or the item that is the danger, it's the player who does the grabbing.
I think you're right about common sense, though.

Not the same. Getting your rasta haircut pulled may well hurt like hell, but its not going to seriously injure you. The choke risk of a bandana style head garment means it isn't safe to wear

Does it show how far off being down with the kids I am that I had to google it?? :confused:

Having now seen it (cheers Google Images) didn't Efe Sodje used to wear one at Crewe in the FL for about 3 years?

I'm not so sure some of you know what a do rag is.
I do not physically see how this garment could become entangled around a players neck.
If I pull on it there is only one way it is coming....off
I see 60 years men wearing these where I work to keep the sweat from their eyes, amongst machinery that will literally rip you in two. Noone bats an eyelid.
And I work in one of the most safety conscious industries there is.

Not the same. Getting your rasta haircut pulled may well hurt like hell, but its not going to seriously injure you. The choke risk of a bandana style head garment means it isn't safe to wear
The point I was making is that "long dangling material" covers a multitude of items and the issue isn't clear cut as to highlight the use of a Du-rag. It's global game and the Laws have to accommodate all genders and cultures and sometimes common sense has to be applied to more local issues.
@Silhouette has packed a lot into his short refereeing career (far more than me with my 3 games a week average) and his powers of observation are far more advanced than mine. I prefer the normality of my refereeing duties (with occasional thought provoking decisions).

I've only allowed a player to wear a hat once, and that was because he was partially deaf and it was raining, so the hat was worn to stop water getting into his hearing aid

Back